What AMP/DAC to get for around $50 USD?!
Dec 25, 2015 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Andrei316

New Head-Fier
Hey just looking for some help 
beyersmile.png

I want to get more out of my headphones and IEM. I currently have the ATH-M50, HD598 and the KC06. I'm just curious if I can get better sound stage and just overall better sound quality out of them. I'm not sure what AMP/DAC to get, but I've been running an EQ on my on-board sound card (MSI Audio Boost 2), it's probably a gimmick like a lot of "gaming" audio gear but it does output sound pretty well compared to my phone and other mobile devices. I do enjoy my current sound signature from my EQ and I'm scared getting an AMP/DAC might change it and it might not even have an adjustable EQ. For reference this is my current EQ settings it's set for my HD598s cause I use them more often. 

From the list/poll above I'm really leading towards the FiiO K1 I really like how small it is with the small price tag and I did read some reviews and they said they expand the sound stage while also working really well with neutral and warmer headphones, which sounds like it suits my needs. The rest on the list were just recommendations I've seen floating around. I'll be using this only on my Laptop and Desktop PC so it doesn't really matter if it's portable and I don't care if it's plugged in 24/7 either. I really want to stay under $50 USD but I'm fine pushing it a little bit, the CAD isn't doing as well as I'd like so yeah :p. I also have the Pyle Pro PHA40 on the list because I think it would be neat having multiple outputs but I really don't need it imo and it probably doesn't even deserve to be on this list. 

I hope you can help me out choosing what to get or even if it's worth getting an AMP/DAC. Fyi, I am somewhat content on what I'm hearing,  I'm just really curious if I should jump and just get them and I don't mind at all getting a little bit more juice out of my HD598s.

Thanks and Happy Holidays and have a Happy New Year! 

TLDR; Need help choosing a DAC/AMP above, overall just want better sound stage and sound quality, been using on-board "gaming" sound card. I want to stay under $50 USD.

P.S I listen to wide range of music but mainly Vocals, Acoustics, Hip-Hop, Pop, Rock, Electric, Trap and what you expect out of a teen these days 
L3000.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 6
Ha! I'm using the Pyle PHA40 right now.
cool.gif

It doesn't have much output power, though. Distorts at high volume sometimes. I wouldn't recommend it if your budget is higher.

If your budget is $80, I would recommend the Schiit Fulla.

But...your thread title says under $80, then in your post, you say under $50. Which is it?

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for noticing! I was trying to finalize on a price and I forgot to change it 
biggrin.gif
. But I think $50 USD is what I wanna stay around at. I looked at the Fulla and at the end it comes out at $130 CAD which is way more than I want to spend, that's how much I got my HD598s for :p

Though, how does the Pyle compare to just running your headphones without an AMP, any differences in terms of sound clarity and the such? If not the Fulla
triportsad.gif
 what should I get that's like $30 less? 

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Though, how does the Pyle compare to just running your headphones without an AMP, any differences in terms of sound clarity and the such? If not the Fulla
triportsad.gif
 what should I get that's like $30 less? 

Most headphones are easy to drive. You may not even notice a difference with an amp. I compared a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 stack to my laptop's headphone outputs and did not hear a difference with most headphones, besides having the ability to attain higher SPL levels. However, my laptop (Alienware M11x R2) apparently has better sound etc. than most, so don't expect this most of the time. The Pyle amp gets more than loud enough for most people with most headphones. I'd say I listen louder than average, so I push its limits. On a small selection of songs, I don't even get as much volume as I want with it. Since it costs under $20 (at least in the US), it's much easier to buy on a whim, though. From your list, I have also owned the FiiO E6. It's certainly versatile, but not the best choice if your budget is $50. Since I have not owned the others, I won't comment further.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 6

Most headphones are easy to drive. You may not even notice a difference with an amp. I compared a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 stack to my laptop's headphone outputs and did not hear a difference with most headphones, besides having the ability to attain higher SPL levels. However, my laptop (Alienware M11x R2) apparently has better sound etc. than most, so don't expect this most of the time. The Pyle amp gets more than loud enough for most people with most headphones. I'd say I listen louder than average, so I push its limits. On a small selection of songs, I don't even get as much volume as I want with it. Since it costs under $20 (at least in the US), it's much easier to buy on a whim, though. From your list, I have also owned the FiiO E6. It's certainly versatile, but not the best choice if your budget is $50. Since I have not owned the others, I won't comment further.

Thanks for your help :) I guess the only way to see what to get is to actually try them, if I do like them I'll just keep them if not I'll return 
darthsmile.gif
 But weird, most of the things I read say that having a DAC/AMP improves sound quality even if you have some what decent sound card... Thanks for your input again!

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 6
  But weird, most of the things I read say that having a DAC/AMP improves sound quality even if you have some what decent sound card... Thanks for your input again!

It depends on many factors. I was just lucky. Most people report significant improvements over their onboard sound. And of course, higher-end amp/DACs may sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back