What amp/DAC is everyone using for their IEMs?
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 19
TBH, it also pisses me off that I still hear better stage and dynamic from something like DX300. When I decided to use only IEM, I hope that I can avoid chunky equipments of headphones.

It seems to me that something else inside those big amps give us that staging and dynamic, not “more power”. I’m quite shocked to find that the tiny UTWS5 can project similar soundstage to my M6U, even via bluetooth. So it’s not the max output number.
The thing is when you don’t have any of these equipment to actually test, it does not matter. But when you hear the difference once, it’s hard to unhear.
I’m honestly not 100% convinced that my 5K, NX4DSD, or Q11 sound better with my Aful P8’s than just the Apple Lightning dongle (to my ears). I’m not sure how I’d go about volume matching in testing between them. I know for sure I’ve been listening louder when I used the NX4DSD, so the extra volume could be all I’m hearing there. I want to say the 5K sounds better than the dongle, but that could be as simple as not being volume matched either.

Right now I’m using the P8’s on the Apple Lightning dongle at a bit higher of a volume than I had used it with these in the past and I’m not hearing anything wrong. Listening in the 25-30% area right now, so it’s still not anything crazy loud. I had previously been using them in the 18-25% area.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 19
I’m honestly not 100% convinced that my 5K, NX4DSD, or Q11 sound better with my Aful P8’s than just the Apple Lightning dongle (to my ears). I’m not sure how I’d go about volume matching in testing between them. I know for sure I’ve been listening louder when I used the NX4DSD, so the extra volume could be all I’m hearing there. I want to say the 5K sounds better than the dongle, but that could be as simple as not being volume matched either.

Right now I’m using the P8’s on the Apple Lightning dongle at a bit higher of a volume than I had used it with these in the past and I’m not hearing anything wrong. Listening in the 25-30% area right now, so it’s still not anything crazy loud. I had previously been using them in the 18-25% area.
Try to push the volume of Apple dongle obviously higher than others to give it advantage. How are the dynamic? How is the staging? Pay attention to the center of the stage, to the side instruments, to the background. Are they the same? Is their placement different? Pay attention to the bassline or an orchestra with bass and cellos. How clear can you discern and separate the notes? How is their texture? Now pay attention to the cymbals and hi-hats. Are they metallic? Are they textured and nuances or just splashy bright?

I have seen this test challenging my conclusion when A/B dongles or A/B DAPs, but never between a small USB dongle and a full-size setup.

One thing about P8 is that it is quite easy going. I have try to all sorts of things to squeeze out a little bit of stage. Frankly, it’s not worth it to try to ‘scale’ this IEM. I think it hits the performance ceiling easily.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Apple Lightning dongle with my iPhone, and occasionally the Qudelix 5K with whatever source. Occasionally because its balanced 2.5mm is occupied by over-ears.

Jul 16, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 19
Either Apple Dongle or SMSL iDEA for my desktop. I really like the SMSL iDEA's output. Very clean signal with hardly any coloration. Surprisingly, my Fostex T50RP Mk3 sound better from the SMSL iDEA than my Audio-GD NFB12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back