What amp compliments the Beyer DT990 Pro's?
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Soundscape

100+ Head-Fier
i have a pair of dt990 pro's on the way, and i've read that the mids can be a bit lacking and that they are a tad on the bright side with that signature beyer spike in the lower treble(i think).
is there any amp that can be found for around 100 dollars new or used that would go well with the 990?
thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 7
i'm actually thinking of just getting a pa2v2, unless there is an amp in my pricerange that would be significantly better with the dt990.
i've searched the forums, but most amps that are mentioned as pairing well with the 990 and other beyers are out of my budget.
would the pa2v2 be enough to drive them?
again, thanks for any help.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 7
I've got my new DT990 pro, and I plug in millett for burn-in.

Some people say DT990 pro with bright, but with millett I don't heard bright sound in my office rig.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 7
thanks for the response, but i don't think the millet is within my budget. i'm also considering a used home-vibe with OPA551's in it and also comes with an extra OPA2227, for about 100 shipped. but i haven't a clue if it would match well with the dt990 pro's or even be much better than a pa2v2.
does anyone know?

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape
i'm actually thinking of just getting a pa2v2, unless there is an amp in my pricerange that would be significantly better with the dt990.
i've searched the forums, but most amps that are mentioned as pairing well with the 990 and other beyers are out of my budget.
would the pa2v2 be enough to drive them?
again, thanks for any help.

I have a Portable Pimeta (Rockhopper) ($100 plus shipping) and a PA2V2 which I drive my 990s with. After much listening I have to say there is really not much in it. The PP *may* be a little bit more refined but it is extremely marginal (to my ears) and either is a good choice. The PA2V2 has a very slight bass emphasis compared to the PP but the battery life on the PA2V2 is vastly superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back