What amp are you pairing with your DAC1?
Jul 30, 2008 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested to know what amps (if any) Head-Fiers are using with their DAC1s.

Right now, I'm running a pair of D2000s out of the DAC1 Pre's headphone amp. I rather like the sound. I've sidelined my HD650s for real lack of impact (I listen to a lot of percussive music). It seems like the combination of true uncolored detail from the DAC1 and the coloration of the D2000 is a pretty good combo.

I'm sure that others have different opinions and setups. Please share!

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None! I like the in-built headphone amp!

Its pretty low-end and not very good (for HD650).

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 10
I have a DAC1 and am currently using the built in amp. I am dying to have something else though. The sound is very detailed and clear, but seems very dull and not lively. I am scouting (and saving money) for a Woo Audio amp, the 3 or the 6. The warm tube amp will give soundstage and resolution while retaining the crisp, clear, detail on the DAC1.

I in fact had a thread about it not too long ago: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/loo...o-dac1-347075/

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a DAC1 and am currently using the built in amp. I am dying to have something else though. The sound is very detailed and clear, but seems very dull and not lively. I am scouting (and saving money) for a Woo Audio amp, the 3 or the 6. The warm tube amp will give soundstage and resolution while retaining the crisp, clear, detail on the DAC1.

I in fact had a thread about it not too long ago: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/loo...o-dac1-347075/

Yeah, I felt the same way about the HD650. It wasn't until I tried the D2000 that I stopped thinking about purchasing an amp to pair with the DAC1. That's not to say that I won't purchase and amp to go with it, but I am satisfied at the moment.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 10
I just noticed that you have the DAC1 Pre. That has a lot of potential being used as a preamp. You could get some really nice sound out of it paired with another amplifier.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed that you have the DAC1 Pre. That has a lot of potential being used as a preamp. You could get some really nice sound out of it paired with another amplifier.

I actually had the USB first, but I liked it so much that I decided to send it back and get the Pre. I'm moving to Japan in the next year, so I wanted to consolidate DAC, Amp and Preamp in one unit, and the DAC1 seemed like the best product. It's going to be the backbone of my rig in Asia. I'm looking forward to shopping for speakers and an integrated or power amp once I get there. I'm stopping in Taiwan for a couple of months first, so I may find something there. I found this place that sells quite a few headphone amps, so I'm definitely going to conduct some listening tests.

¸gÀç²z©À

My friend has already been there to check things out. He said the people were a little less than friendly, but I'm hoping that was an isolated experience.

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by riv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, may i knw if the dac 1 is compatitable with the denon d5000.
u mention abt the d2000 pairing great with the dac1 though

I think both pairs are similar enough that they have pretty good synergy with the DAC1, which can be very detailed in its presentation. I think the D5000 is just a bit better, due to it's tightened bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back