What American accent do you have?
Jun 18, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #136 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do you say MERRY? Just wondering... I say them all the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mary and Marry i say like i do @$$ - that kind of "A" sound.

Merry i say like i do "eeeeeehhhh." That kind of "E" sound.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #137 of 180
Ah Ha! I say "Merry Christmas" two ways!

If I make a "casual" Merry Christmas, it comes out like "Mary Christmas".

If I'm like standing at somebody's door and hollering inside and wishing them a very jolly and festive holidays, it comes out "Meeeeeery Christmas"!!

Cool!
cool.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #138 of 180
My result was Midland but I'm from the South. I like the question where it just asks if I say I's like people in the South. Gee, thanks.
blink.gif

My accent is messed up, as it depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about. If I'm talking to dad about racing, then it's thick SC lowcountry accent. If I'm talking to mom, it's less thick but still appears. If I'm tired I'll revert back to how I was raised to talk (I don't notice this myself, but when living in another country and you start getting a southern accent, people tell you).

But normally it's just a basic "flat" American accent, or American-meets-Turku-Swedish because my husband and I have sort of met in the middle and have our accent when talking to each other. Not something you notice until you're back home and you get compliments on being able to speak English so well and questions about where in Europe you're from.
blink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #139 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO - Who pronounces it as number 1?

Who pronounces "Australian" as "Awstr-ay-lyen"?

Welll, all us Uhmerkins (Dubbya's American-eze) … uf cawsss. (NY-eze)

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #142 of 180
Puerto Rico -> Texas -> Mississippi -> Japan -> Massachusetts -> UK(London) -> Oklahoma -> California(San Diego) -> Japan -> Hawaii(Honolulu) -> California(Sacramento) -> California(Livermore) -> New Mexico(Albuquerque) -> Land of the Millett Max. Accent? Southern/British/Californian
"Watcha Mate, Surfs Up, Ya'll Hurry Now" :wink:

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #144 of 180
Western

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it's still possible to tell where you're from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

I was born in New England and I grew up in Texas and have Asian parents. Go figure.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #149 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trust me mate, western or any accent is not neutral. it would take about 10 seconds to place a person within 1000km of her/his house in just about any conversation. no such thing as neutrality when languages/accents are focus

oooooo....Henry Higgins!
very_evil_smiley.gif

-m
(gagh...)

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #150 of 180
Probably none!
Cause I have never been to the US, or any other english speaking country...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back