What American accent do you have?
Jun 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 180
People always tell me that I don't have an accent.....this test pretty much gave the same results (though it's certainly not as accurate as having some oral test). I was born in Indiana but raised in North Carolina (which actually has a lot of different types of accents). I got labeled with "Midland" accent.

I did live in Boston for a little bit.....so I always pronounce Boston like a native Bostonian: Bahstan . I also find I start sinking into a Canadian accent if I'm conversing with Canadians
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 180
Midland. I grew up in Michigan, but have lived in a few parts of the country which might explain why I tend to slip into other accents when I'm on the phone with friends and family or when I'm really tired. I don't tend to notice it, but others point it out to me. I can do a southern Indiana hick really well, and my students tell me I have a New York accent on certain words. What's weird is that I used to teach English as a Second Language for years. I taught mostly people from the former Soviet Union, Syria and a few from Tibet. I've since become friends with a couple former students and they like to tease me that they now speak with a combination of my accent and a Russian one. They're also adept at imitating mine.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's trying to say that I don't butcher the English language as much as most do.

I actually think some regional British accents butcher the English language more then any other dialects (including any Southern NA accents). BBC type English is very easy to understand for a Midlander American....Some Northern and Welsh English doesn't sound like English at all to me!

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #38 of 180
you know, from Denver to the west coast we have the largest single speech group on the continent.

doesn't help me, I grew up right in So Cal, right in front of a TV... and i still ended up talking with an "accent."- but i don't know where it's from... Channel 11? the simpsons?

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #39 of 180
Yet another Midland, despite being in Massachusetts.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 180
Northern
That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Yeah, folks around here sometimes comment on my different accent...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #43 of 180
DANG! Everybody's like midland! I'm surprised no more northern, it sounds so .... normal and neutral ....

I wonder why. Certainly not because I speak it?

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #44 of 180
i actually chuckled when i saw my results...
full_674423600.jpg

even though i barely have the typical New York accent, i was afraid my results would say otherwise, but i ended up with the Mid Atlantic accent; so i suppose the test is fairly accurate... but of course it's to be taken lightly.

i have a friend who constantly makes fun of the way i say "water" and "coffee" but of course she comes from a complete different spectrum of accents because she's Bostonian. i gotta make her take this test tomorrow!

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #45 of 180
Here's another language test that showed up today. When this person says "I am in no way a violent person", do you...

A) Agree with that statement.
B) Disagree with that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back