what am I missing, what am I not seeing.....
Jan 4, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 25
CD quality is CD quality. It does not matter whether it's coming out of a fancy dancy hifi rig or a $20 mp3 player. Period. The work of converting the file to audible sound is done by the DAC and amplifier. It is a discrete set of 1s and 0s, so unless you think the file itself is somehow different coming off a file in a DAP versus off a CD (which is literally just another medium holding a digital audio file) I'm not sure what to tell you. CDs aren't like vinyl, the audio isn't etched into the surface itself, it's basically a flash drive that needs an optical reader.

Expensive DAPs are what they are because they have really burly internal amplifiers and DACs as well as the parts to play higher fidelity files, but if you're outboarding the work to an external amp/DAC like the Mojo it doesn't matter if you're using the most expensive player on the market or something you got in a cereal box because literally ALL of the work in converting that digital file into an audio signal is being done externally and you've converted the player itself to nothing more than a storage device. 

You're arguing with the wrong guy. He agrees with you.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #17 of 25
  CD quality is CD quality. It does not matter whether it's coming out of a fancy dancy hifi rig or a $20 mp3 player. Period. The work of converting the file to audible sound is done by the DAC and amplifier. It is a discrete set of 1s and 0s, so unless you think the file itself is somehow different coming off a file in a DAP versus off a CD (which is literally just another medium holding a digital audio file) I'm not sure what to tell you. CDs aren't like vinyl, the audio isn't etched into the surface itself, it's basically a flash drive that needs an optical reader.

Expensive DAPs are what they are because they have really burly internal amplifiers and DACs as well as the parts to play higher fidelity files, but if you're outboarding the work to an external amp/DAC like the Mojo it doesn't matter if you're using the most expensive player on the market or something you got in a cereal box because literally ALL of the work in converting that digital file into an audio signal is being done externally and you've converted the player itself to nothing more than a storage device. 

Are you completely ignoring everything I say? I was agreeing with you the entire time...

However, I will correct one thing: CDs do have grooves etched onto the surface that are read by a laser.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd.htm

Of course, like I have already mentioned:

Even very cheap CD drives can easily rip a perfect copy of the data from a CD.

There are also two things that the phrase "CD quality" can refer to. The first is the data itself, in which only lossless is an exact copy. The other is audible audio, in which lossy files can be the same audible quality as lossless files or the CD itself, if the bit rate is high enough. In both cases, we are talking about Red Book (16-bit / 44.1 kHz).

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 25
My bad you two! I was misquoting. :frowning2:

bahaha! So I went on that little rant for nothing, I guess.
popcorn.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 25
My defense is I am catastrophically ill right now so I can't recall what I"m seeing/reading most of the time.

Your posts are all good stuff, Alchemist, I have no idea why I was thinking I was arguing even when you were saying stuff I agree with. XP

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 25
Thanks once again for comments guys, some of it gone straight over my head, but very interesting just the same.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 25
CD players have DACs!

They don't have to be used as a digital transport into another Dac just connect to a headphone amplifier or integrated amp with HO out. This used to the way people listened to headphones (I still do!) Whether the CDd's Dac is as good as a standalone Dac depends on the quality of the two components your comparing I suppose but CD players shouldn't be written off just yet especially if you have like me hundreds of CDs!

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 25
CD players have DACs!

They don't have to be used as a digital transport into another Dac just connect to a headphone amplifier or integrated amp with HO out. This used to the way people listened to headphones (I still do!) Whether the CDd's Dac is as good as a standalone Dac depends on the quality of the two components your comparing I suppose but CD players shouldn't be written off just yet especially if you have like me hundreds of CDs!

Well everything has a DAC and an amplifier in it, otherwise you wouldn't be able to listen to music coming from a digital source. It's kinda understood that when someone talks about "getting a DAC/amp" they mean an external one.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 25
CD transports typically do not have an internal DAC. Of course, with those, you then have to get an external DAC.
redface.gif

Interestingly, there are CD transports like this that cost tens of thousands of dollars. For reference, here is an example:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-cdsacd-transport/
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/dcs-vivaldi-cd-transport-and-dac-part-1-hi-fi-plus/

Since CDs are so easy to read and jitter levels in modern equipment are low enough to be inaudible, I'm at a loss as to why high-end CD transports exist. Countless audiophiles talk about how much better they sound. What I want to know is how in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back