What am I looking for?
Apr 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

It was my birthday yesterday and I have subsequently decided to upgrade my audio gear. I have figured that my weakest link as of now is amplification/DAC, which is probably where I should upgrade. My current headphones are custom JH5s, which I currently run straight out of my iPhone/iPods.

I have a headphone amp, a Couple of AMB mini3s I built one low gain and one high. I used to have Grado Sr225i that I had to sell because for whatever reason they used to set my tinnitus off quite badly. I plan on eventually replacing them and getting another pair of full size headphones, so Id like an amp for that.

I've been reading up and am pretty overwhelmed by all the offerings available and the wide variety of amps now available. When I started out, i was limited by price range and offerings. Now that I'm older and have a better budget, I have a lot more to choose from.

Essentially, if I was to take a step up from what I've got:
iPhone -> JH5 or
iPhone/iPod -> mini3 -> JH5/unknown cans

Using a LOD I got on eBay.

What am I looking for?

Is it possible to bypass the iPhones DAC and use and use it as a purely digital transport, to a DAC then to an amp? Is that even worth it? Are there other integrated DAC/amps for headphones, other than the fiio e17? Is it even worth going this rout?

I guess Im looking for education as well as a suggestion. I don't have a budget as of yet, but I'm thinking $200 for something that will last a while and be flexible (I have no intention of collecting amplifiers, I just want one that I'll like and stick with indefinitely)

Thanks in advance

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 11
You can't bypass the iphones DAC, so unless using your PC/ laptop an E17 would only be good for it's amp with your phone. Considering you will be using your phone as a source I would opt for something like the Fiio E11 if you want to take the Fiio path.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
You can't bypass the iphones DAC, so unless using your PC/ laptop an E17 would only be good for it's amp with your phone. Considering you will be using your phone as a source I would opt for something like the Fiio E11 if you want to take the Fiio path.

Actually you can bypass the iPhone DAC - but it's expensive.  The main contenders are the CLAS and the HP-P1.  There is also the VentureCraft GoDap.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 11
What's the difference between the e7 and the e17?

Well, I may use my laptop as a source in the future. The only reason I dont is because I don't have a DAC, and my MacBook has quite a lot of noise from its audio port.

And how does the fiio e7/e17 sound quality compare to something like my mini3? The the only experience I have with fiio is a a couple of their early models that were $10 on DX. I've been reading reviews, and the word "value" is mentioned a lot, but is it good?

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 11
So i think i've figured it out.

I probably don't want a DAC, as i doubt i'll ever use my laptop as a source. I've always got my iPhone or ipods with me, and i only listen at my desk working about 40% of the time.

I think what i'm looking for is a GOOD amp, that is well built, has good battery life, multiple gain settings for flexibility, ect. I'm not sure i'll go the Fiio rout, as I'm not sure that would be much of an improvement over my mini3s.
I've got my budget narrowed down to ~$200, which still gives me quite a few options. Something along the lines of an iBasso t5, although i'm still not sure about it.

I want something that is tone-transparent (i'd like to leave that to the phones), but would widen the sound stage, and increase separation. It'd have to be versatile as far as gain, but I'd like something with low output impedance on low gain, as my JH5s can be somewhat sensitive.

Are there any others in this category that would suite what i'm looking for?

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Depending on the full sized cans you eventually want to drive, it may be worthwhile to research the Leckerton UHA-4. I have not heard it but it was one of the amps I considered before I eventually purchased my Arrow. It has digital volume control (for your sensitive customs) and crossfeed that will help with soundstage.

There are a couple of threads on it - and it looks like a great portable from the research I did. There are a few owners so you'll be able to ask them directly for specifics.

Here's the main threads I was reading:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/550478/leckerton-audio-uha-4-vs-headstage-arrow-3g-a-comparison-mobile-device-warning
http://www.head-fi.org/t/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey, thanks.

That's the first i'm hearing of the UHA-4.

I saw the arrow some years ago before it was even remotely available. I actually really wanted it back then. After reading that comparison, the words harsh and grainy put me off. Might i ask why you chose the arrow then? it just seems really elegant and well designed, but if it doesn't sound better than the competition....

Another thing i should mention is i have tinnitus, which gets set off by anything harsh or too bright. I had to sell off my grados because they would set my ears ringing after 30 or so minutes at low volume. I'm not a bass head either, but like everyone i appreciate bass where bass should be (as recorded), like in a particular instrumental by mute math there is a part with a floor base that I just needs to sound good.

As an amp alone, is the UHA-4 better than the fiio or the ibasso?

I was just listening to my JH5s through the mini3. It's a good amp, but i can't stand the hissing/ground noise. I've heard worse, and it's not a lot but it bugs me.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Hey, thanks.

That's the first i'm hearing of the UHA-4.

I saw the arrow some years ago before it was even remotely available. I actually really wanted it back then. After reading that comparison, the words harsh and grainy put me off. Might i ask why you chose the arrow then? it just seems really elegant and well designed, but if it doesn't sound better than the competition....

Another thing i should mention is i have tinnitus, which gets set off by anything harsh or too bright. I had to sell off my grados because they would set my ears ringing after 30 or so minutes at low volume. I'm not a bass head either, but like everyone i appreciate bass where bass should be (as recorded), like in a particular instrumental by mute math there is a part with a floor base that I just needs to sound good.

As an amp alone, is the UHA-4 better than the fiio or the ibasso?

I was just listening to my JH5s through the mini3. It's a good amp, but i can't stand the hissing/ground noise. I've heard worse, and it's not a lot but it bugs me.

On the UHA-4, you need to talk to someone who owns one.  I considered it mainly for it's digital volume control and form factor.  Plus my last experience with Fiio wasn't 100% positive (E11, a year old, static/electrical interference - according to Nwavguy it's a known problem - and also a sloppy jack).  So I was looking to spend more and buy something with a better quality build.

I don't like transporting a brick around - so form factor was important to me.

I also wanted something that could power cans from 32 - 600ohm.  Evidently the arrow can do that.  Mine's in transit - I'm looking forward to getting it.  Basically I chose the Arrow on form, power, and features (crossfeed, bass boost etc).  The only issue with the Arrow I'm not sure of is sensitivity - I own SE535 LEs - which are very sensitive.  I'm not sure how the Arrow will handle channel imbalance with these - but they sound fine out of my iPhone / Touch - so I can do without an amp with those.

I also suffer from tinnitus - sadly mine is permanent.  Funnily enough I have woodied 325is and have no issues whatsoever with the highs.  Could be because mine is permanent and I've become used to it.

Am afraid I can't help more on the Leckerton - but I came very close to buying it instead of the Arrow.  Use the links I left you, and ask the actual owners.  They'll give you an experienced opinion.  I just wanted to let you know it was available before you get the usual tribe of junior head-fiers all suggesting the Fiio E11, E17, E6 etc, and drowning out other suggestions.  Don't get me wrong, I've owned my fair share of Fiios - but you get what you pay for .......

If you don't mind - once you eventually decide, post back advising what you bought, and what your impressions are.  It's always nice to see well reasoned follow-ups.  Makes a difference from the FOTM noise on here sometimes.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 11
My tinnitus is permanent, but I have something akin to "tinnitus attacks" where the weirdest things can set them off.

In any case the only two I'm looking at is now is the above UHA-4 and the ibasso T5? Still trying to widen the pool.

I don't want a bargain amp,st this point I'd like a really good amp that I can use for a long period of time with a variety of phones I may get in the future. I suppose to an extent so long as they don't make my phones sound worse, or are inferior to my mini3 I won't know the difference. I don't plan on owning multiple amps.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 11
The T5 is out i think.

Leckerton is looking good after reading a few pages of reviews. I'm having a hard time drawing comparisons though, is it on a level higher than the FiiO amps, and such? It's still an Amp/DAC, so would i be better off spending the same amount of money on just a portable amp? Not that i've found an alternative yet, but i'm not entirely sure if i'll use the DAC at all, so are there better options? the UHA-4 is pretty weirdly sized/shaped.

I'm thinking about splurging on the ALO National, but i'm not entirely sure i want to bust the budget that much.
I've also discovered the minibox es, but I've read that it has too much gain for sensitive IEMs, while the leckerton does well with them.

I appreciate the comments/suggestions!

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back