What am I looking for?
Oct 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Norman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I plan on running both a head amp and a stero amp so that I can use both speakers and headphones on my computer.

What I want is something that goes inbetween the amps and the soundcard so that I can switch between the two on the fly

What is this 'thing' called?

Thanks a lot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Ahh, yes! That's the one..

Will I hear any degradation in the SQ if I use any random one? Any brands to look out for?

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the Niles 5 position selector switch and it works very well.
They cost a bit more than a Radio Shack unit, but there is no loss of sound quality that I have detected and the build quality is excellent.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the replies!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one is designed to connect two sources to a single input on an amp, but I am 99% sure that it works just as well to connect one source to two different amps.

That way the sources input becomes my output and vice versa, right?

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 13
That's what I presume. Some firm that made a very similar unit in recent years (maybe Niles, just a slightly different model) advertised it as capable of switching between two inputs to feed a single output, or switching a single source between two outputs. Probably wouldn't hurt to send an email to tech support and verify, though.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 13
Nah I don't have a preamp lying around..
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Oh you mean like that.. I'll have to check, but it might.. Do line outs do much to the sound signature or does it pass through relatively transparent?

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh you mean like that.. I'll have to check, but it might.. Do line outs do much to the sound signature or does it pass through relatively transparent?

That will depend on your rig, but this is kinda a no-cost option, so it can't hurt to try it out.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tape line outputs usually bypass all the gain circuitry in the preamp stage, so it should be very transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back