What am I looking for in a headphone to pair with amp/dac?
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HackJilton

New Head-Fier
So my friend got me an amp/dac (Schiit Fulla 2) for my birthday not realizing I would need better equipment to reap the benefits (I only have $120 IEMs). I'm thinking of upgrading to higher quality headphones and since I already have this amp/dac I would like to make use of it. I just don't know what to look for in headphones to make sure the amp/dac will be beneficial. I did some research and I think I'm looking for higher impedance? More Ohms mean the more the amp can amplify? Just want to make sure I am correct in looking for higher impedance (over like 50 Ohms?) and am wondering if there's anything else I should consider.
I'm also very open to headphone recommendations as well. Under $400. I will listen to mostly electronic/dance music with some indie/metal styles as well. Looking for great bass but do not want to compromise mids/highs. Thank you for all the help.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Higher impedance is not necessarily what you are looking for. Do you want IEM's or over-ear headphones? What IEM's are you currently listening to?
I'm looking for the best sound I can get. Thinking over-ear. The IEMs I have now are V-Sonic Gr07 Bass Editions. I just crave a higher quality sound any way I can. Thinking over-ears are the best choice and just want to put the amp/dac to use since I got it for free.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 18
Okay. There are many options but three that immediately come to mind are the HD650, HE-400S, and the ZMF Classics. Maybe read about these and see if one or more interests you. They are all terrific in my opinion. The major differences are that the HE-400S can be driven straight out of a phone and without need of your Fulla. The HD650 and the ZMF will both need a dedicated amplifier to properly drive them.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 18
The impedance rating (ohms) is the resistance of the driver, the sensitivity is what really matters when calculating how much power it will take to drive a specific headphone. That said, the fulla 2 should have enough juice for most headphones, so no worries there.

For better headphones, first pick a budget and try to stick with it. Then decide if you need isolation, or if open back headphones will work. If you can have open back, that is what you should use. It will give you the best performance vs similar priced closed backs. Probably exceptions to this, but it is generally true.

That being said, massdrop has some of the best deals around for the entry-mid range. Headphones like the k7xx, 58x jubilee, 6xx, and Fostex varities are all excellent headphones. With massdrop, schiit, and the cavali designed monoprice amps there has never been a better time to get into audio.

Good luck!

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 18
So my friend got me an amp/dac (Schiit Fulla 2) for my birthday not realizing I would need better equipment to reap the benefits (I only have $120 IEMs). I'm thinking of upgrading to higher quality headphones and since I already have this amp/dac I would like to make use of it. I just don't know what to look for in headphones to make sure the amp/dac will be beneficial. I did some research and I think I'm looking for higher impedance? More Ohms mean the more the amp can amplify? Just want to make sure I am correct in looking for higher impedance (over like 50 Ohms?) and am wondering if there's anything else I should consider.
I'm also very open to headphone recommendations as well. Under $400. I will listen to mostly electronic/dance music with some indie/metal styles as well. Looking for great bass but do not want to compromise mids/highs. Thank you for all the help.
You do not need to have high impedance (OHM) headphones to have good sound.
Does it matter to you if the headphones are open or closed
As long as you do not need to block noise, I think open headphones are usually a better choice.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 18
The impedance rating (ohms) is the resistance of the driver, the sensitivity is what really matters when calculating how much power it will take to drive a specific headphone. That said, the fulla 2 should have enough juice for most headphones, so no worries there.
For better headphones, first pick a budget and try to stick with it. Then decide if you need isolation, or if open back headphones will work. If you can have open back, that is what you should use. It will give you the best performance vs similar priced closed backs. Probably exceptions to this, but it is generally true.
That being said, massdrop has some of the best deals around for the entry-mid range. Headphones like the k7xx, 58x jubilee, 6xx, and Fostex varities are all excellent headphones. With massdrop, schiit, and the cavali designed monoprice amps there has never been a better time to get into audio.
Good luck!
I really like the sound of my Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Okay. There are many options but three that immediately come to mind are the HD650, HE-400S, and the ZMF Classics. Maybe read about these and see if one or more interests you. They are all terrific in my opinion. The major differences are that the HE-400S can be driven straight out of a phone and without need of your Fulla. The HD650 and the ZMF will both need a dedicated amplifier to properly drive them.
HD-600 (or 650) and HE-400 (400S) are two I've put on my consideration list at so I'll definitely take them into consideration thanks!

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 18

Good luck!
So what should I be looking for in sensitivity to see if my amp will be useful for the headphones? My budget is definitely under $400. If there was an absolutely perfect option a little above that I would consider buying used. Still deciding on open or closed back. I'm trying to consider open back knowing the sound is generally better. I'd be ok with either the pros and cons are even to me.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Well for under $400 you could get both the Massdrop HD-6SS (same as the 650 in sound) and a 400S or for more fun a HE-400 with Focus A pads is definitely more in the realm of fun and some simple mods is very nice and again fun more bass than the S .

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 18
The MeZe 99classics are a little less than $400 and read some of the reviews on here to see what many many folks are saying. I just got mine a few weeks ago and find them really good. I like them better than my Oppo PM-3.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 18
So what should I be looking for in sensitivity to see if my amp will be useful for the headphones? My budget is definitely under $400. If there was an absolutely perfect option a little above that I would consider buying used. Still deciding on open or closed back. I'm trying to consider open back knowing the sound is generally better. I'd be ok with either the pros and cons are even to me.
You do not have to spend $400 for good sounding headphones, the $150 Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X is something you could be happy with.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Power is always good. They don’t need it but still overkill is underrated.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 18

I wouldn't even worry about the ohms/sensitivity, just get the right headphone for you. '

If you think you need some isolation, check out the Massdrop Fostex trx00. They are just a hair over $400 and are pretty awesome. I love the fostex bass and v shaped sound signature, very popular. Else I would be only looking at the sennheiser 6xx, 58x jubilee, or if you want something with larger sound stage that are amazing for gaming check out the AKG k7xx. You literally cannot go wrong with anything I just mentioned.

The schiit fulla will work with every headphone I mentioned, but the AKG k7xx might be the max, anything less efficient would be dicey.

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Use the above link to get an idea of how much power a given headphone will need. Just find the spec page and find the resistance (ohms) and sensitivity (either in volts or power). Watts = power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back