What am I going to do with my life?
Oct 29, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #16 of 30
andrzejpw, I'm curious (and I'm sure everyone else is too), can you tell us a little bit about what interests you about each of those options you spoke of? Also, what specifically ignites your passion in that design class you mentioned? Is it the problem-solving aspect? Or the teamwork? Or something else?

Also, I know you've begun to play around with electronics a bit (congrats on the Meta42!); have you also begun to do things related to the other options you mentioned, like being a class TA or lab assistant, or volunteering at a local hospital?

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 30
I'm in almost exactly your shoes, just a year earlier. Right down to the CE/EE wannabe status
biggrin.gif

So I'll be following your progress, if you don't mind...

But don't worry about choosing a major. You can pick underwater basket weaving with a minor in midieval plumbing for all anyone cares when you start off, from what I've heard. Just as long as you come out with a degree that says something other than "Professional Student" on it, and relates to what you're interested in.

(tangentially related: apparently, it helps on your college application to already have experience in your areas of interest... like, say, building headphone amplifiers. *hint*
wink.gif
)

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #18 of 30
Purdue Bad!!!!

In regards to MIT, by all means go for it, the school is still up there for other engineering and science fields. As long as it's not a liberal arts, go for it (they do have a business school, Sloane, but really, who says their going to MIT for business??). Don't overlook California schools like I did. Stanford is a good school. In regards to being undecided, hell, my dad went to Georgia Tech and got a BA in Mechanical Engineering. Came up here to Chicago and found out he didn't like designing the plant layout at the Borden Magic Tape company, so he went to night school at Northwestern and got his MBA. He used to be a partner in a securities trading firm down on the Chicago Stock Exchange before he sold the firm a few years ago. I recommend taking AP courses to get a leg up, that way if you decide not to go down a certain route, you've cut your loses. Also, it'll help you find out your areas of interests. In addition, intern!!! My dad found out that learning to be an engineer and being one was completely different, get an idea of what it's like to work the job. My suggestion is to apply to government research centers, they usually take on hordes of students (they need to do what they can to attract future employees, you don't work there for the salary). I worked at Argonne National Lab two summers ago on Photonic Crystals real interesting work and the pay wasn't bad. Also, there will usually be a lot of talks and lectures at your college about the various fields and research in just about any major you can think of. Go to those talks to see if you can find a field or area of study that is of particular interest to you. Right now, I would suggest focus on high school and getting into college, from there, find out the many resources they have to offer to you to help decide what your route is going to be. But I would advise you never to think that it's too late to turn back and try something else, you're going to be doing this work for the next thirty or forty years (hmmm, would be nice to know that I could have that good of a job security), the worse thing you can do to yourself is be doing something you dislike. My dad found out he was doing it and did a complete turnaround in what he did for a living.

Oct 29, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #20 of 30
andrzejpw, I teach philosophy at a university, and I'm well acquainted with the uncertainty you are are feeling. Hell, I know it firsthand from my own student days. So please allow me to give you my well-honed response to your consternation (which almost ALL students go through, so don't feel alone in this!).

Look, the very purpose of a university is for you to try out different things, discover what interests you, what you are good at, what you are not good at, to learn and grow. Cliches, yes, but all too true.

What the university is NOT:

1) A glorified trade school (despite the fact that many university administrations and the public at large insists on seeing it as such)

2) A mere formality or holding pen, an annoyance one must endure in order to receive sanction (i.e., degree) to get on with The Rest Of Your Life.

You obviously seem interested more in the sciences than in the liberal arts. Colleges of Science are typically more rigid and narrow with their degree plans, pressuring students to specialize early on - invariably too early, in my opinion. And much to the detriment of one's development, they also tend to de-emphasize the traditional liberal arts, requiring only the bare minimum and not encouraging their students to challenge themselves to go further. By "bare minimum" I mean the dreaded scantron-auditorium-taught by a clueless T.A. requirement. Check around, ask fellow students, particularly upper classmen/women - you CAN avoid these dreaded hellholes if you know whom to take instead. (Believe me, there are no scantrons or route learning exercises in my intro classes!)

I would guess that you must be around 17, 18 years old. I've yet to meet anyone who knows what he or she wants to do with his/her life at that age! I certainly didn't! For the record, as an undergrad I began as a music major, switched to psych, was briefly a linguistics major, dabbled in geology, and finally took two B.A. degrees - one in film and the other in philosophy. (Then combined the two interests in grad school.) I should also add that all of this was occasionally interrupted by stretches away from university life - touring in bands, traveling in Europe, working less than desirable jobs (everything from pizza delivery to substitute teaching to working on a film crew making terrible schlock in Italy). And this is precisely as it should be! My previous majors and sundry adventures were NOT time wasted. Quite the opposite. I learned new things that have stayed with me, led me to different places, taught me so much about myself - what i was good at, what I wasn't so good at after all, what really appealed to me that I never guessed would've appealed to me, etc.

Honestly, relax. Keep yourself open to new ideas and new challenges. You never know what surprises are in store for you or where you'll end up. And this is as true for your personal life as it is for your academic life. DON'T stay home all night studying (well, sometimes ...), DO meet new friends, DO have as much sex and wild adventures as is possible, DON'T hesitate to change your mind and adjust your plans (and major) accordingly. I've read lots of your posts at Head-Fi. You are a level-headed and intelligent person. You'll do just fine, believe me.

Please keep in mind that only an idiot WOULDN'T be full of doubt and uncertainty over all of this. It shows that you are a reflective, imaginative person.

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
What's wrong with Purdue? I'd heard it's not that bad - in fact, quite the opposite...

yeah, i too would like to know why Born2bwire thinks Purdue is bad in the engineering department.

(it would give me extra ammo in my war against my Purdue friends.
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #22 of 30
This thread has allot of good advice for you to ponder. U of Ill has a great Eng school. I myself attended Univ of Washington (Mech Eng) in Seattle and it has served me well.

My advise and it is the same that I gave my two children was fairly simple. Find what you really enjoy doing and pursue it and use your education to broaden your options in the future. I have known too many well educated individuals that are so pigeon holed by their education that they could not easily change direction when the economy or something else in their life changed.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
it really hurts to say this (being an IU grad), but if you're interested in EE be sure to visit Purdue University in West Lafayette. great school for engineering.

get your EE degree and then go to law school. you'll rake in the bucks as a patent attorney. hard work though.

As a fellow Indiana University grad, I can't believe you suggest such a traitorous action.

All kidding aside Purdue is a great engineering school.

Hey check out:

Cal Tech
Stanford
University of Michigan
University of Chicago

in addition to your other choices.

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
As a fellow Indiana University grad, I can't believe you suggest such a traitorous action.

scottpaul_iu,

i've seen the 'iu' on the end of your moniker and always wondered
wink.gif
. hey, better to recommend Purdue than another non-indiana school. guess i'm a Hoosier through-and-through.

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #25 of 30
Wow guys, thanks a ton. The reason I really like the engineering class is the way we solve problems. We sit around, and we talk about how we want to do something. Its very, very relaxed. Its a welcome break from my schedule(no lunch, no free periods, nothing). Right now, I'm a 16 year old junior in high school. The thing that scares me the most, is I sort of keep on wavering. I mean, one moment I want to do this, the next, it scares me, and I want to try something else. I'm a very active volunteer at the local science center. I'm a presenter there, and I scare kids with liquid nitrogen.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 30
The ability to have thought leadership is pretty important in business today. My father was an engineer for GE Aircraft Engines in Cincy, OH. He went to U of M Ann Arbor and received a bachelors in Mechanical E. and a Masters in Mechanical E. The value of an engineering degree (or math or statistics) is that the education helps you evolve how to think and not what to think. Too many professors, TA or AI will try to indoctrinate you into their way of thinking.

Engineering is a powerful background to have. That said I went to IU which doesn't have engineering, unless you consider accounting financial engineering.

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 30
Got some great advice so far, and it seems that you have been exposed to some good classes. To build upon what others have said, don't worry too much about a major. If you have an opportunity to work/intern/heck, even vollunteer! somewhere to get an idea of what the job is like, that would be great. There is no education like experience. And even if you don't like that particular place/experience, at least you've learned some new skills and found out what you DON'T want to do.

If you are at all interested in becoming a doctor, check out your local hospital to see if they have any positions available. Might stimulate that interest OR you might run screaming from the thought. Better to find out early rather than after you've already gotten into medical school.

If you are interested in combining science and medicine, there are a number of paths that you could take... biomedical engineering for instance. Taking the engineering skills and applying them to human health problems.

Of course, I have to mention this... you could even consider something like pharmacy. Pharmacy is a science based degree that requires a (at least) 6 year committment (2 for undergrad prerequisites in mainly science areas and 4 professional/graduate years) from which you will emerge with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree (your grandmother will love being able to call you "Doctor"!). From there, you can do a lot of things.

Example: I'm a pharmacist who received additional training in toxicology. I now run a poison center and teach at University of Maryland. What a great job!!!

A student graduated from this program three years ago and ended up working for NASA helping deal with medical/health issues in astronauts as well as doing research on drugs and chemicals in zero gravity. There are LOTS of opportunities for smart and motivated people. And the good news, check out starting salaries for pharmacists! There's no shortage of sick people, medicines keep getting better, people are living longer, all this means that pharmacists have a lot of job security. You'll never get rich being a pharmacist (at least not when you work for someone else), but you'll be comfortable. Heck, a lot of the students that I teach leave school and start making more than I do!

Keep your options open, get some experience, find out what really interests you, and then find a way to make a living doing what you love.

Good luck! I've a feeling you'll do well whatever it is you decide to do.

Bruce

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 30
Hey, I'm a UIUC student here, thus, Purdue Bad!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually, it's a fine school, two of my friends from high school went there and if your going to go out of state, then by all means check it out.

Uggg now there's another philosophy prof on this forum. First daycart (I know how to really spell it, but he mispells a certain way) and now Pepzhez. What's with audio and philosophy majors?

My impression of U of C (Chicago) is that it's major strengths lie in the liberal arts though I don't doubt they would have a strong science department, most obviously economics (they probably have more nobel prize winners on staff in econ than they do of non-recipiants). A very good school. If interested, I know people at Stanford, MIT, and Purdue so if I could annoy them on your behalf if you want me to.

Oooh, science volunteer eh? I participate with U of I's Physics Van which is a group that travels around the state to elementary schools and gives a presentation about basic laws of Physics. And yes, we have liquid nitrogen (which is one of the things they still let me handle, I'm no longer allowed to handle fire
frown.gif
).

Ok for Arnett, reasons why Purdue is bad:
1. Their residential internet is so limited. What's the bandwidth cap per day? Something like 250 megs.
2. It's in Indiana
tongue.gif
, nuff said.

Oct 29, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #29 of 30
Hi Andre,
I don't want to discourage you, but I'll give you a picture of what my Mechanical Engineering university experience has been (currently a Senior):

i) If you don't really, really love math, don't bother
ii) It is nothing like sitting around conceiving ideas and having Nerf wars. I do 3-5 hours of homework a night and much more on the weekends
iii) I have very little time for anything but school; I can't remember the last time I have seen a movie in a theatre
iv) If you like constant challenges and lots of learning, you will probably love it as I do
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Eric

Oct 29, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 30
As I said earlier I have a Mech Eng degree and agree with Serow that math in the engineering world is a must. What I did and it served me very well was to take my classes a little out of order. First I concentrated on taking as many math courses as I could while getting the basic humanities, English, basic eng materials etc out of the way. When I started taking the core engineering classes none of the math was a mystery and I could concentrate more on what they were trying to teach. Following this approach made things easier for me. I did very well in all my classes and I think I retained more than many. I did end up taking a couple of required classes my senior year that most take as sophomores but they were easy at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back