What after Mini³?
Jul 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
My first project, the Mini³, was just completed last night. I'm wondering where I should venture off from here. I don't want to shoot too high (like a B22) obviously, but I'm not sure what would be an appropriate next step. Any suggestions?

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first project, the Mini³, was just completed last night. I'm wondering where I should venture off from here. I don't want to shoot too high (like a B22) obviously, but I'm not sure what would be an appropriate next step. Any suggestions?

The CKKIII is a nice amp, and not too complicated. Or maybe something with tubes like the Millet Max or the upcoming SOHA II.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 5
My progression is CMOY>Crossfeed>Mini^3>Opus>Beta22. I'm working on the Opus right now.

To be honest, the Beta looks easier from a skills perspective than the mini since there are no surface mount parts. It requires more time, patience, concentration, $$$ and knowledge though!

The millet suggestion is very good. I'm not building one since I already have a tube amp, so I'd rather go S.S. first, then come back to a hybrid. The starving student millet could be a nice exercise in point to point wiring instead of PCB for a change.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 5
There are lots of good choices...how about the M^3? Or the CKKIII or if you would like a good first tube project, build the Millet Hybrid Maxed. If you want some more surface mount soldering, then build an Alien DAC; that would make a great partner to the Mini^3 for a fairly portable computer rig.

(listening to my Mini^3 right now)
Scott

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 5
If you don't need voltage gain, the JISBOS is easy and inexpensive and sounds real good to me.

P.S.: and I always recommend Sijosae's Poormans Zen amp (search here or Headwize)

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back