What after Grados SR80?
Jun 25, 2007 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

frtorreira

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Would it be possible to improve my listening experience by spending no more than $100-200? I use Grado SR80 phones plugged to the headphone output of an M-AUDIO 410 Firewire soundcard. I listen almost exclusively to classical and early music, mostly chamber. In general I like the sound of the Grados, especially the detail they offer, but in some recordings (especially harpsichord recordings) they tend to sound too harsh.
I am thinking of buying a pair of HD555. Do you think that I would also need an amp? Volume and power is not really a problem since I do not want to get deaf young. I wonder if a headphone amp would really improve the sound quality at moderate volumes. By the way, all my music is stored in my computer. I understand that the headphone amp would be plugged to the M-AUDIO firewire soundcard. Would this be OK?

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 15
HD555 is not bad, but you'll just get hit by the upgrade bug again in the very near future. If you browse around the FS forum here you might be able to find a pair of MS2i for ~$200, that'll be a significant upgrade to your current setup. The MS2i is also much less hissy (or sibilant, in audiophile jargon) compared to the grado.

That said, the best value for classical music listening would be the HD580 at ~$130 (this model used to be the Sennheiser flagship in the early 90's, it's just recently been discontinued). It does require an amp to sound nice, though, but at that price it should leave you enough budget for a portable amp.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 15
If you love Grado's, why don't you check SR225. They are not harsh with highs and having a lovely velvet sound. Also do not need amplification, well not necessary. But even you want one, you can buy Firestone Encore, which make a pretty good combo with SR225. I had this combo in the past.
Other than that neutral AKG's K501 or K701 ( because of your music preferences) would be a possible choice. But they need an amp to drive them well. I think Firestone can drive those two, but not sure about the quality of the sound.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Looking at your musical preferences and source devices, you may have been a bit better off getting the MS-1 since they are a bit more suited toward the classical side then the SR-80. They would be more of a side-step now though.

When you say all your music is in your computer, do you mean they are stored at CD quality levels, or something compressed?

When you listen to classical, do you want to be standing right there next to the harpsichordist turning pages, or sitting back a few rows with the rest of the patrons listening to the recital?

The Grado/Alessandros would put you up front while the Senns will generally put you back a ways.

A good used MS2i does classical well but puts you up front, while an HD580 or used HD600 will put you in amongst the listeners. And yes; they are much happier with an amp, however.

Yup; the HD555 is more of a side step, but a good used HD595 is sorta like an MS2i...sorta....but an amp isn't as important as with the other Senns.

I listen with both MS2i and HD600...both amped...and I listen with both for classical; the MS2i if I want to be up front, and the HD600 if I want to sit farther back. The HD600 is generally the better pick for the bigger classical stuff since it's more laid-back and its' highs are attenuated a bit as they would be if you were farther back from the source, and the bass is accentuated a bit as it would be in a hall as well. The MS2i have the sparkling Gradoesque highs, and to me the harpsichord sounds natural, but my ears have been around the block quite a few times in the last 63 years so the highs may not be as well defined as with younger ears.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 15
You may also try the Doc's (Goldring DR150). Very forward in presentation like Grados AND has soundstage. Mind you this soundstage is less than some phones but stil, l heard someone here said that it would still make a good "gaming" phone. Also you gotta remember that TOO much of soundstage would actually alienate you from the music.

I've heard the HD595 to be more detailed than the Doc's but more of a bore to listen to.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the advice. Most of my music is either in a lossless format or in ogg -q6, which is not bad to most ears. I think I will wait a little and spend more money. From your answers I see that with such a reduced budget I would take a sidestep rather than a step forward. In the meantime I will try to check out the phones you mentioned.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 15
Get Beyerdynamic DT-880. Tons of detail, bright like Grado but not so harsh. Also very wide soundstage, captures the whole-sounding essence of classical better than Grados intimate and small soundstage. '05 model is considered better one due to better casing, but it uses same drivers as old '03 model (which is VERY cheap nowadays cuz its discontinued) so difference isnt that big I believe. I used to own '03 model.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 15
RS-1 maybe?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $100? Only if you're nikongod.

But I couldn't "picture" buying from him!
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 15
I finally got a pair of Beyerdynamics dt 880 for $247 including shipping. I had the opportunity to try the Sennheisers this week and found that the sound was too laid-back. I have heard so much good about the beyers that I have decided to give them a try. I have also read a good review of Headphonia amps. Do you think this amp would be a good choice for my beyers?

Thanks again!!!

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also try the Doc's (Goldring DR150). Very forward in presentation like Grados AND has soundstage. Mind you this soundstage is less than some phones but stil, l heard someone here said that it would still make a good "gaming" phone. Also you gotta remember that TOO much of soundstage would actually alienate you from the music.

I've heard the HD595 to be more detailed than the Doc's but more of a bore to listen to.

I agree.
The DR150 beats the HD555 IMO, if you like your SR80 the DOCs offer a similar sound signature but with more detail and soundstage, it's a step up from the SR80, not light years but quite noticable. Note that this can needs a good burn-in to get rid of some initial sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back