What about the mics that record the music we listen to and the headphones used to master them?
Sep 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Army-Firedawg

1000+ Head-Fier
This has been bothering me for a while now and forgive me if it's already on another forum I did some searching but couldn't find anything in relation, though I may have put in correct wording. But to the origional subject, think about it, we buy such expensive audio equipment from cables, to pre-amps, to amps, to dacs, to ultimately our top of the line headphones. BUT has anyone given any thought as to the true first step in this process? What type of microphone is being used to record the artist playing? No matter how good OUR equipment is if the origional recording device is garbage that's what we will hear EVEN AT 24/192. Sure the super sophisticated and proffesional studios probably use great mics but take mainstream records whos only concern is making money. I highly doubt they'll spend the extra $1,000+ dollars to do excellently, what a $150 can do pretty good. So thanks to the inperfections of that mic we are handicapped for what we could actually be hearing.

On another simular note what headphones are the ones mastering or even remastering the music using? In my mind I would hope they are using top of the line reference class headphones that way there's no pre-bias to the music that's being recorded. All the editing to be done would be minute things, but I know full well with the overly popular beats and people believing their Gods gift to music masters are using these overkill bass driven headphones that IN ITSELF will dilute the true bass that was origionally recorded. So when I'm reading reviews and even comparing music on headphones myself and hear people rate then as having a muddy or unclean bass or treble whatever I seriously would like to know what the music being demod was origionally recorded and mastered with.

Then lastly in my store we play a video/commercial of a rapper recording the song that goes something about " pyrex in the projects" in the beginning and "it's alive" at the end don't know the artists name nor song name but the studio is just a BIG FRIGGIN OPEN CONCRETE ROOM instead of a silent room. This dumbfounds me that track would have so much echo and feedback that I think it'd drive a competant listener nuts. Then to add to my previous example he was recording using beats pro's

Yes this is long and quite rambly and I hope I worded it correctly so you can understand but I've been very perplexed by this and personally I've never heard anyone talk about this subject at all. So any knowledgable information on this would be greatly appreciated. And if I'm incorrect on this subject in ways as well please inform me all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back