What 80's (cartoon) series would you like to see as a movie?
Jul 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 50
[size=xx-large]THUNDERCATS.[/size]

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #33 of 50
Umm, let me think...

voltron.jpg

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #34 of 50
Looks like the Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman is a green light too:

Yatterman, Gatchaman Live-Action Movies Green-Lit

[size=x-small]posted on 2007-04-10 08:54 EDT [/size]
Takashi Miike, Katsuya Terada aiming for Spring 2009 on Yatterman
Nikkatsu Corporation, a subsidiary of Index Holdings, has announced that it has green-lit live-action adaptations of two 1970s anime series, Yatterman and Ninja Science Team Gatchaman. The company said that "production is definitely moving forward on Yatterman with a Spring 2009 target release." Internationally renowned director Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, MPD Psycho) will lead the production with character and mechanical designs by Katsuya Terada (Blood: The Last Vampire, Cutie Honey live action).

Both science-fiction hero series were the creations of Tatsunoko Production, the famed animation studio that is now part of Tomy after the Takara-Tomy merger. Each series aired for over two years in Japan, and enjoyed success abroad as well. The original Yatterman series featured character designs by Yo****aka Amano (Final Fantasy games, The Sword of the Emperor) and mechanical designs by Kunio Okawara (Gundam, VOTOMS).

Imagi, the Hong Kong company behind this year's <A href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=4921">Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles CG sequel, has openly discussed the pre-production of a Gatchaman CG feature. However, today's announcement is the first indication of a Gatchaman live-action adaptation, and the first public indication that a Yatterman movie is also in the works. Tatsunoko, Index Holdings, and Tomy established the TCC Limited Liability Partnership to develop Tatsunoko's properties.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #35 of 50
Thundercats.

Ho!

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #37 of 50
It would be nice if a decent writer/director/producer did something with ExoSquad, which was easily the last great "cartoon to sell toys" series. It would probably work best as a series though.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if a decent writer/director/producer did something with ExoSquad, which was easily the last great "cartoon to sell toys" series. It would probably work best as a series though.

I used to have every ExoSuit from that series, which was a feat considering they were like $20 a piece at the time ($30 for the two big suits). If they ever release that one on DVD I would pick it up in a heartbeat. If I remember right, it was pretty dark for a cartoon series.

Yay for the Thundercats movie, but the whole CGI thing kinda scares me. Almost guaranteed it's gonna be aimed at a much younger audience and not the fans of the series.

Of course, I don't believe any of these movie announcements until I see a trailer of some sort. They did have a live action Dragon Ball Z and Evangelion planned for a couple of years, and some crazy budgets, but both of them fell through.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 50
That's pretty funny that they actually are making a thunder cats movie. Who knows, maybe it will be alright. It must be tough to be in charge of a project like that, there are so many artistic decisions that could turn the movie into a failure.

This is for the younger generation, but did anyone else ever watch Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys? That was awesome, monkeys in space fighting aliens.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #40 of 50
I hope they can get as much of the original vocal cast for the ThuderCats movie as possible (assuming it even makes it to production).

Unfortunately, according to wikipedia, Earl Hammond (the voices of Mumm-ra, Vultureman, etc.) and Bob McFadden (the voice of Snarf, etc.) are both deceased.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #41 of 50
Actually I forgot about Thundercats myself! Great to see it will be a movie. As long as they don't cr*p it up like they did with the live action D&D movies.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MA-KU-ROSU FTW.

Even supposing they did do Macross rather than Robotech, you know Hollywood would still end up butchering it.

It'd be pretty cool to see a big Nupetiet-Vergnitzs done with state of the art CG, though...

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #44 of 50
Captain Planet & The Planeteers

Starring .... AL GORE!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back