What $100 IEMS?
Jan 16, 2007 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Raconteur

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,
I've already searched some dutch fora and started a WTB-thread, but I haven't found any IEM's that suited me. So, I think I've got to buy new ones from Ebay.

But... which? My budget is $100 as it will also need shipping to Holland. A little more ($20) money could be used but that is the really maximum. Oh, my source is an unamped iPod mini 1rst gen and a Philips MZ-5 Cd-player/radio.

Now, I'm using my current earbuds for 3 purposes: sleeping, doing homework and travelling. The IEM's must at least be usable for the first two options. So, no sticking out (important!) and good isolation so my little bro's cant disturb me.

Oh, the music I listen: britpop, indiepop and indierock. Bands like Franz Ferdinand (bass-heavy), Belle and Sebastian (Mid-high), Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, We Are Scientists, zZz, The Decemberists etc. Sometimes I listen to electro-like sounds like Lo-Fi-FNK, Infadels, Soulwax etc.
I've already looked for various options:
-Westone UM-1: I think this suites me the best but they're a little expensive
-V-moda Vibe: Maybe not enough isolation.
-Shure E2c/E3C: With E2C I've got some money left for maybe an amp or some CD's. E3C looks like another good choice but do they stick out?
-Super.fi 3 Studio: Don't know much 'bout it. Seems not too bad.
-Etymotic ER6i: Cables are thin, maybe too bass-heavy?

Thanks in regards and happy Head-fi-ing!
EDIT; Sorry for the bad quality of this text, as I'm Dutch and only 15 years old it ain't easy to write English.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 30
UM1 or E3C's are your best bet if you're sleeping with them, the others stick out of your ears a bit (don't know about the Vibes however)

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 30
i'm happy with the audio technica ck7.
about $us 69,- .
wonderful detail and percision!
love the highs+mid rang.
low end a lil weak, if your into hip hop and such
(feel the need for overwhelming thump, then these ain't for you...)
great for the price/preformance ratio in my opinion.
isolation is ok.
titanium housing, lil microphonics and durabale cable.
easy to insert + also sleep with
wink.gif

good luck in your search!

Jan 16, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 30
The Audio Technica seemned quite uncomfortable at first sight. As I sometimes fall asleep and as I don't like painfull ears, I don't think it's the right choice.

Thanks for the comment, both of you.

Jan 16, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 30
Don't apologize about your English -- it's not even your first language, you're not old enough to vote, and your post is better written than 98% of those by members for whom English is their first language! (The use of the Latin plural "fora" alone puts the rest of us to shame, LOL. Steady as she goes, Raconteur!) (This is not a criticism of forum posters -- the point is to communicate questions and comments, which people here do quite well, and to an entertaining degree.)

I wouldn't say the ER6i's are bass-heavy. Especially with an iPod Mini, you'll get a very lean bass -- you'll hear each bass note being played, rather than hearing a massive wall of bass. The ER6i cables are indeed thin, but if you take care of your gear, that shouldn't present a problem. There will be some microphonics, though, but to me it's not nearly to the extent of cord noise with the Creative EP630 canal phones (in Amsterdam, are all IEMs considered canal phones? ... OK, that was really awful ... I've been to the Netherlands three times and really like the place ... I bought some herring from a street vendor who spoke about five languages). The isolation will be as good as you can get (I use short Comply foams for comfort and consistent fit). I don't use them as everyday earphones, but many do, and they're supposed to be durable.

I haven't heard the Westones, and they're supposed to be a little muddy sounding, but as a first upgrade they might be good for your situation (there will be more upgrades unless you renounce Head-Fi). The comfort and isoaltion should be nice.

I am very impressed with my friend's Vibes. I got her to buy them and be my "field tester," and they exceed our expectations. Very small and light, and low-profile, but not quite as low-profile as the Westones or Er6i's. They sound a bit like open headphones, but don't have true isolation (for busses, trains, planes, etc., but they should "override" noisy brothers most of the time). Still, they would be a very good everyday earphone.

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 30
I don't really have a great fealing about Ety's triflangles. As my ears seem quite small and those things seem huge, will it fit?

The Vibes look like a good choice, but so do the UM1s. Though I've heard that the V-Moda's have some kind of a seam on their tips. The UM1's appear to be the most comfortable around, which is, at least for me, quite important.

You say, "The ER6i cables are indeed thin, but if you take care of your gear, that shouldn't present a problem.". As I'm looking at the state my iPod mini is in at the moment, they won't survive long. At the other hand, I won't take 'em with me to school and just keep em at home, which will ofcourse help a lot.

"Steady as she goes"
Quoted for truth
280smile.gif

But, does anyone have some (or a lot) experience with the UM1's and Super.fi 3's? There aren't much reviews about those online.
EDit: How important is an amp for a beginning Head-Fier? As amps aren't the cheapest things around...

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 30
If you're having trouble importing the UM1s, I'm selling an almost new pair in the For Sale forum. I'm in the UK so delivery will be much faster than the US. Check out the link in my sig if you're interested.

The UM1s are the most comfortable true IEM (the bose and vibes aren't isolating) and are really discreet. Very tidy profile and non fatiguing sound makes them a very safe buy.

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 30
The UM1's don't stick out AT ALL. I sleep with them all the time and it's great.

They sound amazing with the comply tips too (which come with them anyway) and don't sound that different with the Shure foamies. I prefer the complies though.

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 30
The ER6i didn't look low profile when I saw its shape. Are there any photos of it inserted in ear?

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 30
"How important is an amp for a beginning Head-Fier?"

For ultra-portability, many people go without an amp. I suppose it depends on the situation and especially your preferences. You can enjoy your music without an amp, and if you are "on the go" a lot and want to keep things simple, don't use an amp. I realize this is against the Head-Fi philosophy in many ways ... but you can always choose to graduate to an amp in the future.

"The UM1s are the most comfortable true IEM (the bose and vibes aren't isolating) and are really discreet. Very tidy profile and non fatiguing sound makes them a very safe buy."

evilking makes some non-evil points ... this should be a good combination of comfort and a sound that should be pleasant to listen to for long periods of time ... while perhaps not the best-sounding available in your price range (based on numerous Head-Fi opinion threads), they meet your three criteria of sleeping, studying and traveling and would no doubt still sound better overall than what you have been used to using. Worth considering as a first-level upgrade.

Have we said "sorry about your wallet"?

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 30
Thanks for the replies all
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope I can get a deal with Evilking. As you all say, the UM1 seems a nice choice as a begin in a, hopfully, very nice H-F career
wink.gif
. Otherwise I'll look some further.

I think I'm listening 80% of the time at home, so I'll consider an amp once I get victim of the Head-fi syndrome I hear people talking about. :wink:

As for now, let's hope I can get those UM1's, otherwise I'll try to get some Vibes or ER6i's.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 30
My personal stance on amps is:
On The Go: No
In The Home: Yes

I don't see the "point" in amps on the go since you are adding substantially to the weight/bulk of a portable device, and any improvement in quality is likely to be lost due to the distractions of the outside environment.

Feeeeel freeeeee to flaaaaaaaaame me.

Damn, now I want some UM1's. Are the UM2's as comfortable?

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal stance on amps is:
On The Go: No
In The Home: Yes

I don't see the "point" in amps on the go since you are adding substantially to the weight/bulk of a portable device, and any improvement in quality is likely to be lost due to the distractions of the outside environment.

Feeeeel freeeeee to flaaaaaaaaame me.

Damn, now I want some UM1's. Are the UM2's as comfortable?

*flames*

If you have a small enough amp, amps are incredibly portable. I have a set up that has my iPod hooked to by shoulder strap with the line out dock falling straight into an amp that's in a pouch that's also in my shoulder strap. And with IEM's, I can hear the difference in sound too.
biggrin.gif

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 30
Still, I am talking as a proportion of the total weight/volume of the player itself. Interesting that you can hear the difference in sound - you must use your iPod in some tranquil settings
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back