What’s the next IEM after Shure SE846?
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Deferenz

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been into this hobby for just under 2 years now. I don’t have a hug amount of gear yet but when I buy something new, I try and get something a bit better than the last item. I am really enjoying IEMs right now and the best one I currently own is the Shure SE846. What I like about this is its warmth, bass, good separation and its sound stage.

At the moment my setup is Macbook Pro >> Chord Mojo >> IEMs, but I am testing out the range of current A&K DAPs this weekend and am considering getting either the Kann Cube, SE100 or SP1000m. I listen to a wide range of music genres from hip-hop, EDM and drum & bass through to pop, rock, folk and classical.

At some point in the near future I would like to go to the next level of IEMs, but I am not sure of what to get or what to look at. Price wise I would want to go up to about £1,600 ($1,975 approx).

Can I get some suggestions on what IEMs you think might be worth me looking at?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 13
Shure KSE 1200

:)

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah, I went to KSE1200 from the SE846 and loved the transition. The KSE kills the SE846 when it comes to detail retrieval, but still has familiarity with regard to sound signature (present mids). One reason I like stick Shure is because I hate recessed mids.

The SE846 is still relevant though. Slightly more forward mids and stronger bass. I dropped in a BT2 wireless cable and now use them when it's convenient to, or when I want the bass guilty pleasure :). It's clear to see how technically superior the KSE is, and the detail you've been missing, when A/B'ing both IEMs.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 13
What is your sound signature preference?

It would be something on the warm & musical side, with good bass and mids. I would like some detail in the highs but ideally I do not want a too high or harsh treble as I am a bit sensitive to that.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks jose. I have seen those two mentioned on a few threads. I’ll have a read up on them. I also see that the Campfire Solaris gets high praise so I’ll have a look at those too.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Custom Art have a few options in that price range, from the 4, 6 and the flagship 7. All under your budget.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks David, I’ll take a look at Custom Art.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Empire Ears Phantom very musical.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
The Phantom look nice. I like the black universal. Legend X get good reviews here but I think they are out of my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back