What’s the best SS you’ve heard for a lush and musical tube lover sound.
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Hello I’m a sucker for tube sound but getting I’m tired of having to constantly search for tubes. So I’d like to try an SS amp, let’s say in the less than $2500 price bracket. I would really like to keep the classic tube sound, mellow, lush, never fatiguing with harsh treeble…

Any of you made that switch from tubes back to SS? Which amp gave you what you were looking for?

Many thanks.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 23
Luxman amps might be what are you looking for. I have their vintage amp P1 and it's definitely closer to tubey sound than SS.
The downside is that they are massive in size and treble freaks might be missing some energy up top. Detailed though and never tiring, smooth operator with Utopia. How good it is I can't actually tell as I don't have much experience with expensive amps, but Luxman easily bested Topping amp offerings that I had and lower tier tube amp Feliks Echo 2.

The only scenario where I liked other amp (Feliks Echo 2) was with HD650 and vocal centric songs. Some weird synergy there which gave a very romantic feel when artists sung. For other genres that I listen I still went back to Luxman

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 23
Has to be a Class A. Best designer for last 50 years? Nelson Pass.

I've owned the Threshold Stasis 3 (awesome DQ-10 & Pro Ac EBS driver), Aleph3, Aleph 5, X-150 (runs everything) and heard another dozen. Accurate, sweet, has nice bass kick

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 23
Luxman amps might be what are you looking for. I have their vintage amp P1 and it's definitely closer to tubey sound than SS.
The downside is that they are massive in size and treble freaks might be missing some energy up top. Detailed though and never tiring, smooth operator with Utopia. How good it is I can't actually tell as I don't have much experience with expensive amps, but Luxman easily bested Topping amp offerings that I had and lower tier tube amp Feliks Echo 2.

The only scenario where I liked other amp (Feliks Echo 2) was with HD650 and vocal centric songs. Some weird synergy there which gave a very romantic feel when artists sung. For other genres that I listen I still went back to Luxman
Hum, Luxman is an interesting proposition but they seem to be making only the P-750u nowadays and it‘s way above my budget. I’d certainly be satisfied with that one though! Hahaha

I’m not a treeble freak but I definitely love the romantic feel you describe. I have the Meze Empyrean.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 23
Has to be a Class A. Best designer for last 50 years? Nelson Pass.

I've owned the Threshold Stasis 3, Aleph3, Aleph5, X-150 and heard another dozen. Accurate, sweet, has nice bass kick
Yep class A is definitely what I’ll definitely aim for, thanks.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 23
Hello I’m a sucker for tube sound but getting I’m tired of having to constantly search for tubes. So I’d like to try an SS amp, let’s say in the less than $2500 price bracket. I would really like to keep the classic tube sound, mellow, lush, never fatiguing with harsh treeble…

Any of you made that switch from tubes back to SS? Which amp gave you what you were looking for?

Many thanks.
You don't reveal what you're driving. I'll assume it's headphones.

I suggest a tube preamp, and a solid-state amp.

I really like my Schiit Lyr 3, with a CV181-Z ShuGuang tube as my preamp, fed into my Schiit Jutunheim single ended, to my HD800S phones balanced. Sublime.

Cost: Schiit Lyr 3: $499+tax+shipping. Call it (based on NC taxes and shipping), $499+$34 tax +$25 shipping=$558. I purchased my Lyr 3 2nd hand, I paid $350 inclusive.

Tube (CV181-Z ShuGuang Treasure). I payed $66.46 with free shipping. It was about a 10 day journey from HK, and was a positive purchase experience. I've purchased more expensive tubes (but not by much, a 1943 military National Union round plate NIB for $75, plus various 6sn7, and 6f8g NOS tubes, about $350 worth ). I hate that the tube I most admire is made in China... but that's the reality.

Schiit Jutunheim 2 is $399 +$14.96 tax +$25 shipping: =$438.96
+
One of most important considerations; the DAC. I like the Schiit Bifrost at $699 +$47 tax +$25 shipping=$771.00

My rig, with 2nd hand Lyr 3, not counting HP

$350 Lyr 3
$66.46 Tube
$438.96 Jut 2
$771.00 BF 2

$1,626.42 total, + phones.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 23
You don't reveal what you're driving. I'll assume it's headphones.

I suggest a tube preamp, and a solid-state amp.

I really like my Schiit Lyr 3, with a CV181-Z ShuGuang tube as my preamp, fed into my Schiit Jutunheim single ended, to my HD800S phones balanced. Sublime.

Cost: Schiit Lyr 3: $499+tax+shipping. Call it (based on NC taxes and shipping), $499+$34 tax +$25 shipping=$558. I purchased my Lyr 3 2nd hand, I paid $350 inclusive.

Tube (CV181-Z ShuGuang Treasure). I payed $66.46 with free shipping. It was about a 10 day journey from HK, and was a positive purchase experience. I've purchased more expensive tubes (but not by much, a 1943 military National Union round plate NIB for $75, plus various 6sn7, and 6f8g NOS tubes, about $350 worth ). I hate that the tube I most admire is made in China... but that's the reality.

Schiit Jutunheim 2 is $399 +$14.96 tax +$25 shipping: =$438.96
+
One of most important considerations; the DAC. I like the Schiit Bifrost at $699 +$47 tax +$25 shipping=$771.00

My rig, with 2nd hand Lyr 3, not counting HP

$350 Lyr 3
$66.46 Tube
$438.96 Jut 2
$771.00 BF 2

$1,626.42 total, + phones.
I have Meze Empyrean headphones.
A Node2i transport to an MHDT Orchid non oversampling tube dac to a Unison Research SH amp with el84 driver tubes. A pretty nice kit but you know how we always want to upgrade so the amp is where I’m currently looking…

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 23

Many thanks.
A couple of suggestions:
i) purely SS - Violectric V280 (now in Final Edition);
ii) hybrid tube/SS - Rogue Audio RH-5 (uses 12AU7 / ECC82 plus MOSFETs); Schiit Mjolnir II (now discontinued: try ‘secondary market’).

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 23
Dupe.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 23
Love the Lyr 3, also Mjonir 2, and V280.

So many nice pieces, so little time.....

As for Luxman, lovely stuff. First noticed tuners in late 70's. Then int amps. Couple of fascinating Class A amps. Used is pretty much the only way to access now. Tech told me in the 90's they are expensive to work on.

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 23
Eddie Current Black widow, as close I have heard an SS to a tube. But no longer in production..

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 23
I haven’t heard hundreds of amps, but own the Woo 5 LE, Schiit Asgard. I have the Woo 3 and other DAPs and such. But......I at least would suggest the Sony TA-ZH1ES if you have easy/medium to drive headphones and IEMs. The TA is not a full powerhouse for hard to drive headphones. But headphones like the Sony MDR-Z1R, it’s nothing short of magic. Also it’s really great with all my IEMs, especially the IER-Z1R. The DC Phase Linearizer will do a special inverted phase which adds to an analogue sound. The DSD remastering also adds a slight upscale sound. Also DSEE HX goes into place to get a warmer sound.

A) DC Phase Linearizer

B) DSD Remastering Engine

C) DSEE HX

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ta-zh1es.22253/reviews#review-25441

B5E95DF8-E711-44F8-BC3E-AB7FF6B4142E.jpeg
00BA2C17-5A89-43C2-A2AE-391DFA913A30.jpeg
446A5320-8B03-43FE-82E4-8C6A9FB3B0F3.jpeg
F6C1C316-9EA5-4F67-810A-A286D8352CA9.jpeg

If you demo it make sure they have the latest firmware; 1.03. Older firmwares can almost sound too warm, depending on your taste?

I mean I still loved the amp with prior firmwares, but 1.03 somehow made the sound just slightly more bright? It’s hard to explain but as it has zero tone control you want it to be natural sounding with all your gear, as it really does with 1.03. There is a nice thread with many happy owners!

Probably USB from a computer is great, but RCA toslink is not great. Optical is fine, but it really also shines hooked up to the Sony DAPs. RCA analogue input gets the treatment regardless of it being analogue already, maybe not the best. But DAP input and computer input is fantastic and sounds natural with all my headphones and IEMs. It’s a joy to use.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 23
I haven’t heard hundreds of amps, but own the Woo 5 LE, Schiit Asgard. I have the Woo 3 and other DAPs and such. But......I at least would suggest the Sony TA-ZH1ES if you have easy/medium to drive headphones and IEMs. The TA is not a full powerhouse for hard to drive headphones. But headphones like the Sony MDR-Z1R, it’s nothing short of magic. Also it’s really great with all my IEMs, especially the IER-Z1R. The DC Phase Linearizer will do a special inverted phase which adds to an analogue sound. The DSD remastering also adds a slight upscale sound. Also DSEE HX goes into place to get a warmer sound.
Funny you mention the Sony as my DAP is the zx507 and I love it's sound always using the DSEE Vinyl processor. It's not as refined and lush as my tube desktop rig but for falling a sleep in bed at night with my IEM I find it extremely tasteful...

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 23
A couple of suggestions:
i) purely SS - Violectric V280 (now in Final Edition);
ii) hybrid tube/SS - Rogue Audio RH-5 (uses 12AU7 / ECC82 plus MOSFETs); Schiit Mjolnir II (now discontinued: try ‘secondary market’).
Violectric V280 and Rogue RH-5 are definitely on my investigation list! :wink: As well as the Pass Labs HPA-1 but that one is on the expensive side of my budget!

I think a hybrid might end up a better alternative for me or at least one that will be less risky to buy considering my love for tube sound and at the same time that will limit a bit the time I spend searching for tubes.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 23
I have Meze Empyrean headphones.
A Node2i transport to an MHDT Orchid non oversampling tube dac to a Unison Research SH amp with el84 driver tubes. A pretty nice kit but you know how we always want to upgrade so the amp is where I’m currently looking…
Some of my buds have their Harley and Indian ceramic (comic) mug contribution cups on display in their caves. Mine is a hand lettered Wu Audio mug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back