What’s the best of my short list for commuting or outdoor use?
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rackhour

500+ Head-Fier
I’m in the market for a good pair of over-ears that I could wear when I commute, cover my ears from the cold or spend some time on my own at a coffee shop. As a result, I want to focus on good sound, durability and isolation.

After some more experimentation, I have a rough shortlist of different models at different price ranges:

- V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
- Sony MDR-1AM2
- Sennheiser PXC 550
- Sennheiser PXC 480

All of these headphones share one trait in that they can be folded in some manner - the CF2W Codex can be made into a ball and the rest can have its ear cups swiveled flat.

The problem here is, I don’t know what to prioritize and what to compromise on. At least on paper, I was first attracted to the Codex because that’s the only model that is advertised as extremely durable and resistant to the elements.

However, out of all these models, I came to realize I like the Codex’s sound signature the least. I don’t hate it outright, but the other headphones on the list sound more pleasing to me, probably because I really like my ER4XR.

Another aspect of portability is of course the size and weight. Based on that, the two PXCs win for me. That said, with all those electronics for Bluetooth or ANC, I don’t know whether I want to expose them to any snow or particularly cold days. That would defeat the purpose of getting them.

The AT and Sony are tied in terms of having my favorite sound signature (followed by the PXCs and then the CF2W). But again, could I feasibly wear them in the winter?

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 8
You might also add a B&W PX Wireless and a B&O H6 2nd Gen. and see whether what you read about those two interests you, if anything. They are both good IMHO and one could potentially work for you.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 8
You might also add a B&W PX Wireless and a B&O H6 2nd Gen. and see whether what you read about those two interests you, if anything. They are both good IMHO and one could potentially work for you.

H6 is great, but discontinued now and the pads have a prioprietary attachment system, so longevity might be a concern.

I did look into the H6, but the seemingly lack of support was a downer. I don’t know whether this is an industry standard of some kind or not, but I called B&O Korea and asked them what their warranty policy was like...it was pretty abysmal.

They told me that during the warranty period, any breakdown due to defects will result in a free swap with the same model. Any breakdown due to user error short of snapping the pair in two will result in a swap at a percentage of the retail cost (I don’t remember how much). But once I go past the warranty period, I have no other option than to just toss the pair and get a new one.

I’m not looking for free upgrades or anything like that - I may lack common sense sometimes, but I try not to feel entitled. That said, whatever I pick up will be used when I’m out and about, so repairability is a bit important.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 8
I did look into the H6, but the seemingly lack of support was a downer. I don’t know whether this is an industry standard of some kind or not, but I called B&O Korea and asked them what their warranty policy was like...it was pretty abysmal.

They told me that during the warranty period, any breakdown due to defects will result in a free swap with the same model. Any breakdown due to user error short of snapping the pair in two will result in a swap at a percentage of the retail cost (I don’t remember how much). But once I go past the warranty period, I have no other option than to just toss the pair and get a new one.

I’m not looking for free upgrades or anything like that - I may lack common sense sometimes, but I try not to feel entitled. That said, whatever I pick up will be used when I’m out and about, so repairability is a bit important.

I wouldn't worry about actually breaking them -- they're sturdy. But pads wear out, and since the H6 use a weird bayonet mount system, you can't just go out and buy third-party replacements. It's really too bad, b/c they are very nice headphones.

That being said -- if you find a killer deal on them now that they're discontinued, it may be worth it anyway, for the use you'll get out of them.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 8
I wouldn't worry about actually breaking them -- they're sturdy. But pads wear out, and since the H6 use a weird bayonet mount system, you can't just go out and buy third-party replacements. It's really too bad, b/c they are very nice headphones.

That being said -- if you find a killer deal on them now that they're discontinued, it may be worth it anyway, for the use you'll get out of them.

That’s what I’m noticing as well.

On another note, I just called Audio-Technica Korea (edit: and Sony Korea) to ask about their repair policy, and at least theirs sounds more palatable. As long as the headphones in question aren’t discontinued, they will repair them for free or at cost depending on warranty status or whether it’s discontinued or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back