What’s the best 4 pin XLR connector?
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MusiCol

100+ Head-Fier
So what’s the best 4 pin XLR connector out there please? I’ve just got Artisan Silver Cables N’th Degree NCF Edition pure silver balanced interconnect cables and the improvement over the previous version is clearly noticeable. I think the only difference is the connectors but I can’t find a 4 pin XLR NCF version. Does anyone know if Furutech makes a 4 pin XLR NCF version? If not, what’s the best 4 pin XLR connector available please?

Also looking for 3,5mm jacks for my HE1000 Stealth. What are the best please? These are my “end game” headphones and I’m trying to get the absolute best out of them. Currently using Artisan Silver Cables upgrade cable which has great synergy - massive improvement in all areas, just as there was with my old HE560, but the connectors are all relatively basic Neutrik. If the connectors made such an improvement on their interconnect cables, I guess they should make a similar improvement on the headphone cable? So, which are the absolute best connectors you can get please? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 9
They all measure the same if they aren't defective. It's doesn't make an audible difference whether it's gold, rhodium, silver, it's just transferring electricity. Keeping connectors clean with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol on a dust free cloth is all that's needed.
I'm in the Audio equipment business and do a blind, volume matched test and I promise you won't hear a difference. One of the most expensive lessons people learn is about cables and connectors.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 9
They all measure the same if they aren't defective. It's doesn't make an audible difference whether it's gold, rhodium, silver, it's just transferring electricity. Keeping connectors clean with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol on a dust free cloth is all that's needed.
I'm in the Audio equipment business and do a blind, volume matched test and I promise you won't hear a difference. One of the most expensive lessons people learn is about cables and connectors.
I must respectfully disagree because my experiences, tested repeatedly with greater than 80% accuracy, tell me there is a difference. We simply don’t know how to measure it. Measurements are important for determining whether a circuit is functioning correctly, but it tells you very little about the actual sonic differences our ears are able to perceive.

Cable and connector conductors, dielectric, geometry, mechanical insulation, and many more factors, all have an effect on the sound. That’s my experience from 30+ years as a passionate audiophile, with 20+ years experience of experimenting with different cables. Being in the business doesn’t automatically make anyone an expert. I’ve seen a lot of bad advice from people in the industry. I’ve also seen a lot of good advice, so I’m not judging, I don’t know you or your level of experience. But I think we should agree to disagree on this point. I heard a marked difference between identical cables with the only difference being the connectors. It was so obvious that blind testing (which has its own flaws and limitations) was not necessary.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 9
I must respectfully disagree because my experiences, tested repeatedly with greater than 80% accuracy, tell me there is a difference. We simply don’t know how to measure it.
If we didn’t “know how to measure“ cable/audio performance, there would be no internet, pretty much no modern world at all and certainly no digital audio which is itself a measurement.
Measurements are important for determining whether a circuit is functioning correctly, but it tells you very little about the actual sonic differences our ears are able to perceive.
When we measure a cable’s performance we measure the integrity of signals passing through that cable, we don’t measure sonic differences, our ears or perception because cables don’t have sonic differences, ears or perception. If we did try to measure sonic differences, our ears and perception we would be measuring the performance of a listener, not the performance of a cable.
Cable and connector conductors, dielectric, geometry, mechanical insulation, and many more factors, all have an effect on the sound.
Not unless you’re using the wrong cable for the job.

G

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 9
If we didn’t “know how to measure“ cable/audio performance, there would be no internet, pretty much no modern world at all and certainly no digital audio which is itself a measurement.

When we measure a cable’s performance we measure the integrity of signals passing through that cable, we don’t measure sonic differences, our ears or perception because cables don’t have sonic differences, ears or perception. If we did try to measure sonic differences, our ears and perception we would be measuring the performance of a listener, not the performance of a cable.

Not unless you’re using the wrong cable for the job.

G
But the precise point is that we are individuals with our own unique perceptions and experiences, and we are the ones listening, not just some dumb microphone or test bench equipment. It’s what we hear, which goes far beyond what any measurement equipment can detect, that is the nature of our hobby.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 9
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 9
But the precise point is that we are individuals with our own unique perceptions and experiences, and we are the ones listening, not just some dumb microphone or test bench equipment.
You seem to be arguing against yourself here. We cannot measure or record “perceptions and experiences”, the ONLY thing we can record is electronically generated sounds (which by definition must be measurable) and what we can capture with “some dumb microphone“. That’s it, there is nothing more we can record and therefore obviously, there cannot be anything more when reproducing audio recordings! How do you think recordings are made and reproduced, do you think your “own unique perceptions and experiences” somehow magically/telepathically changes what’s on the recording and what’s being reproduced?
It’s what we hear, which goes far beyond what any measurement equipment can detect, that is the nature of our hobby.
What we hear when reproducing a recording MUST be measurable, otherwise it could not be recorded in the first place and therefore, could obviously not be reproduced. Again, measurement equipment cannot measure “perceptions and experiences” but it can measure the audio signals and sound we’re reproducing far better (orders of magnitude) than human hearing, just as we can for our other senses. Do you also believe your sight/vision ”goes far beyond” the world’s best telescopes and microscopes?

G

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 9
What we hear when reproducing a recording MUST be measurable, otherwise it could not be recorded in the first place and therefore, could obviously not be reproduced. Again, measurement equipment cannot measure “perceptions and experiences” but it can measure the audio signals and sound we’re reproducing far better (orders of magnitude) than human hearing, just as we can for our other senses. Do you also believe your sight/vision ”goes far beyond” the world’s best telescopes and microscopes?

G
@MusiCol

Pay no mind to Gregorio. His religion is that barring something being broken (a term which he will carefully avoid elaborating on), everything non-transducer sounds the same. And that in audio reproduction as opposed to the rest of the universe, physics doesn't matter.

In his response above, again he repeats the same incredibly basic mistake he makes over and over: measurement is not equivalent to - and indeed has immense limitations compared to - human audio perception. No measurement can tell you, for example, whether the recording of a string quartet is in tune or even if it's a string quartet. But we sure can, and such is obviously integral to our listening experience.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Pay no mind to Gregorio. His religion …
Here we go again, lol. I did not state measurement is equivalent to human perception, in fact I stated pretty much the opposite and therefore I did NOT make the “same incredibly basic mistake” you FALSELY ascribed to me or indeed the other assertions you FALSELY ascribed to me! Furthermore, I don’t have a religion and I wasn’t quoting any religion, just the actual facts.

Please stop following me around and trolling, it contributes nothing, is off topic and tiresome!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back