What’s a good USB DAC for use with a macbook?
Jan 24, 2016 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

misterfresh

New Head-Fier
When my macbook is on charge, there is a distinct buzzing noise in the background coming from the speakers. When the macbook is unplugged, the sound is clear.

For playback I use a 2014 Macbook Air with a couple Presonus Eris E8 speakers. I listen mainly to electronic music, but looking for a flat response. My speakers are pre-amplified studio monitoring speakers, so I don’t need amplification at the moment. I’m playing Flac files mostly, mainly CD rips so 44 Khz 48 Khz and 16 bit, but I also have a few files that are 96 Khz and 192 Khz and sometimes 24 bit. 

I’m looking for a DAC that I can connect through USB and with one jack or minijack out, price range from 100$ to 200$. Also interested in some Foobar / Clementine mac alternative.

Thanks for any advice!

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 6
  When my Macbook is on charge, there is a distinct buzzing noise in the background coming from the speakers. When the Macbook is unplugged, the sound is clear.
For playback I use a 2014 Macbook Air with a couple Presonus Eris E8 speakers. I listen mainly to electronic music, but looking for a flat response. My speakers are pre-amplified studio monitoring speakers, so I don’t need amplification at the moment. I’m playing Flac files mostly, mainly CD rips so 44 Khz 48 Khz and 16 bit, but I also have a few files that are 96 Khz and 192 Khz and sometimes 24 bit. 
I’m looking for a DAC that I can connect through USB and with one jack or minijack out, price range from 100$ to 200$. Also interested in some Foobar / Clementine mac alternative.
Thanks for any advice!

I'm far from an expert, but you might be getting a feedback loop, when the Mac's power cord is plugged in.
When you unplug the Mac's power cord, the loop is broken.
Move the studio monitor's power cords to a separate surge protector, then the one the Mac is connected to.
And maybe plug each surge protector into a different wall socket,
see if the fixes the buzzing issue.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes before I plugged them in separate wall plugs but one of my wall plugs is not working at the moment. Went with the Modi 2 by the way and it is OK but maybe slightly less good than my former Asus STX. I have also problems with volume that is way too high but I will open another thread about that.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 6
  Yes before I plugged them in separate wall plugs but one of my wall plugs is not working at the moment. Went with the Modi 2 by the way and it is OK but maybe slightly less good than my former Asus STX. I have also problems with volume that is way too high but I will open another thread about that.

Check this website, might find a good Mac music player
http://mac.majorgeeks.com/

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 6
If you want something under $100 you can get Fiio E10k. It has decent DAC for the price point. There's line out. But it's not switching off on phone plug and is not controlled by volume nob. Still you're getting nice headphone amp as well with it. You can also get Modi 2 (regular) for $99. But they're gonna be 24/96.
Otherwise just get yourself Modi 2 Uber for $149 which is capable of 192KHz if you really need it. But it's a DAC only. No headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back