What´s a good small headphone upgrade (sidegrade) fitting with the Asus Xonar Essence STX ii?
Feb 12, 2021 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xMisterVx

New Head-Fier
I had been very happy with my Sennheiser PC360, bougth in 2012, for both gaming and music, but the microphone just died and one of the grilles of the earcups is rusted (how?.. I dunno).

I got the HD6XX from Massdrop a couple years ago. To be honest, I don't like them all that much. They are not comfortable at all (stiff and hard compared to the 360 earcups) and they don't seem to have a wide soundstage, like advertised. It is likely that I can't get the best sound out of them with this setup, but I am not going to upgrade much on my PC at this point.

As mentioned my setup is:
- Asus Xonar Essence STX ii
- lossless music through JRiver Media Center

What I need:
- same sound quality or better as the PC360
- comfort for like 10 hours of constant wear
- wide soundstage, very open
- microphone options

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Philips Fidelio X2HR and a modmic. But from somewhere with a good return policy (like Amazon) since some people find the ear pads itchy.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Philips Fidelio X2HR and a modmic. But from somewhere with a good return policy (like Amazon) since some people find the ear pads itchy.
Cool, thanks, didn't have that on my radar. Are there any alternatives to the "original" modmic that are okay? I would feel weird spending 120$ on a little gaming schtick.

Would a DT990 Pro hurt my ears if I've never listened to Beyers?.. the reviews sound kinda off-putting.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Cool, thanks, didn't have that on my radar. Are there any alternatives to the "original" modmic that are okay? I would feel weird spending 120$ on a little gaming schtick.

Would a DT990 Pro hurt my ears if I've never listened to Beyers?.. the reviews sound kinda off-putting.

I would say get a "desktop" mic then (had no idea the modmic cost that much, that's insane). I have a Blue Yeti and a little Samson "ball" mic I think I paid $20 for? My friend says he can barely tell the difference when we game.

The Beyer peak is real and I hate it. As long as you're using a PC source it's easy enough to EQ out, though.

AKG K712 should also be on your radar.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 6
I would say get a "desktop" mic then (had no idea the modmic cost that much, that's insane). I have a Blue Yeti and a little Samson "ball" mic I think I paid $20 for? My friend says he can barely tell the difference when we game.

The Beyer peak is real and I hate it. As long as you're using a PC source it's easy enough to EQ out, though.

AKG K712 should also be on your radar.
I might be looking at the wrong stuff. If I can also get cheaper stuff I'll do it.

Removing the peak through EQ would be okay I guess, but you wouldn't be able to compensate for lack of bass... Don't know if TYGR 300 is better?..

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
I think the actual modmic starts here at 65, which isn't that cheap. I also can't figure out why most lavaliere mics seem to need a battery, or there are negative reviews saying the sound is really weak?.. it seems to be difficult to find those outside of professional /business equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back