wharfedale/marantz setup
Aug 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #16 of 27
The only problem you may run into with such old electronics is static. Since all pots and other adjustments are prone to getting dust in them they can make noise, sometimes even when they aren't being moved.

Old speakers can be cheap, but most have foam surrounds that are either already broken or near doing so. If you had to set a budget for speakers or cans what would it be? Perhaps you can find something made within the last 10 years or so that would be more fitting to your applications.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #17 of 27
Agreed about the pots getting noisy..

Turning the control rapidly from one extreme to the other a lot of times can clear that up in a lot of cases. My brother has a twenty year old Nakamichi car cassette/fm unit in his work truck and he did that just a few days ago when the balance control started getting noisy. Worked like a charm.

I don't think vintage is going to sound *better* but it's going to be a good bit cheaper for equivalent quality.

Here's an interesting pair of Polk Audio speakers going for a reasonable price..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-R-40-...QQcmdZViewItem

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed about the pots getting noisy..

Turning the control rapidly from one extreme to the other a lot of times can clear that up in a lot of cases. My brother has a twenty year old Nakamichi car cassette/fm unit in his work truck and he did that just a few days ago when the balance control started getting noisy. Worked like a charm.

I don't think vintage is going to sound *better* but it's going to be a good bit cheaper for equivalent quality.

Here's an interesting pair of Polk Audio speakers going for a reasonable price..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-R-40-...QQcmdZViewItem

The R40s aren't bad. If he could find some of those old Polks with duel 6.5" woofers and a passive 10" that would be very nice.

To the OP, try looking for used speakers in Pawn shops, they are cheaper and you can test them in the store. Some coorporate pawn shops have return policies as well. Be sure to ask before making a purchase about their return policies. Some offer 7 day cash back, others just for in store credit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 27
Aug 29, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks cheeser, what would you think of these?

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/ele/405036026.html

facelvega suggested them to me in the first place, i'm just looking for a second opinion

I am not super familier with Mission's products, so sorry I can't say.
frown.gif

There are plenty of great deals out there. I once got a pair of NHT 1.5s for $40 and another for $75. I sold both pairs and made about $400 on them.
biggrin.gif
If you know where to look and can look often one can find all kinds of great deals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #21 of 27
Aug 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheeser5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not super familier with Mission's products, so sorry I can't say.
frown.gif

There are plenty of great deals out there. I once got a pair of NHT 1.5s for $40 and another for $75. I sold both pairs and made about $400 on them.
biggrin.gif
If you know where to look and can look often one can find all kinds of great deals.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-ENTRA-O...QQcmdZViewItem

These are pretty nice. I have the IL10s, which are a step up from these and I love them for music. They are not taxing on amplifiers and are quite even loaded. They have good bass output given their size as well.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 27
Mission is considered to be an audiophile brand..

If they are local to you, see if you can audition them.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Mission is considered to be an audiophile brand..

If they are local to you, see if you can audition them.

I am aware of their status, and I have listened to their speakers, but not a wide range or in a very controled environment. The ones I heard sounded great given the room. I am not even certain of the age of the Missions you had a link to.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheeser5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are Boston Acoustics, but nice indeed.
wink.gif

Cash America does 7 day cash back, 30 day in store credit. You can return items for any reason.

Ooops.. Got confused and pasted the wrong link..

I nearly bought a pair of very large JBL's with 18" passive radiators a long time ago, they were just a little too expensive for my wallet at the time though.

Incredible bass extension, they would cleanly play the 30 hz pipe organ note from Also sprach Zarathustra, something damn few speaker will do today without a sub..

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Ooops.. Got confused and pasted the wrong link..

I nearly bought a pair of very large JBL's with 18" passive radiators a long time ago, they were just a little too expensive for my wallet at the time though.

Incredible bass extension, they would cleanly play the 30 hz pipe organ note from Also sprach Zarathustra, something damn few speaker will do today without a sub..

I would very much like to get very large speakers, but my apartment isn't a good environment for such large things.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back