WHAMMY and Amp Camp Amp
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gearocdguy

100+ Head-Fier
I am loving this little amp. I think it sounds better than the Kevin Gilmore Dynalo amps (Gilmore Lite - from Headamp) and but not quite as open as the SuperSymmetry Amps (GS-X Mini from Head)

I bought it from TheHeadAmpBuilder on Etsy (highly recommend) and about to start playing with op-amps and, when the kits are available, will try to build one myself.

image.jpeg

Anyone else gone down or considering going down the rabbit hole on the WHAMMY.

Also considering building the full Amp Camp Amp as a headphone amp as those kits are available. Anyone tried or heard one?

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 8
The Whammy is a current monster, So, I like it best for planars.

I have the Ether 2 and Ether CX which are harder to drive than most planars and the Whammy gives them a much-needed thump.

I have also played the Clear, Celestee, the HD800s.

The Whammy is very clean without being sterile for the Focals, but it's way overkill.

The HD800s sounded flat on it.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Boring, no impact. I also listened to them on a Matrix Mini-i3 pro - which has lower current, but higher voltage and they sounded better. But, I still think they sounded boring. So, it could be, I just don't like the HD800s. My sense is you want to run them on Tubes or very warm class A. I didn't keep them long, so didn't experiment too much.

Not for sale anymore, I tried to add a pre-out with a switch and managed to add a small hum to it. I am in the process of trying to undo my mode by rewiring and putting it into a new case.

If you want one without building it (which is what I did). Go to James at https://www.etsy.com/listing/780640...ierpreamp-with?ref=as_recently_viewed-2&frs=1.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Did you roll op-amps?

I'll be building myself... since i enjoy. Parts are only <$200.
I built one and settled on the Sparkos SS3602. My first venture into HPAs, so I have no comparisons, but the Whammy sounds pretty great with a Bifrost 2.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back