WHAAAT... Daft Punk's RAM is actually a digital remaster from a record?
May 5, 2020 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheRealRalph

100+ Head-Fier
So it's been a long time since I last listened to RAM on digital, and due to the outbreak I no longer have access to my turntable or records.
Then I listened to Contact on Spotify rather loudly (you've got to have a little fun once in a while), and to my surprise I heard some crackles in the beginning, until the drums came in. I was really surprised because RAM is known to be a great master, came out rather recently and has a lot of electronic components, so I assumed that they would put the digital master on streaming platforms. I guess I was wrong... I checked Apple Music, too, and heard the same thing. It's not like realizing that Santa isn't real... More comparable to learning that peanuts don't grow on trees.
Or maybe they put in the crackles intentionally? I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Pretty sure it’s not a vinyl rip. :) I do remember reading that some of the recording was analog (as in tape) on purpose, but crackles I’d bet are an intentional effect if you hear them.

May 22, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 4
There’s loads of music with crackles in - either intentionally added for effect or because the samples were recorded from vinyl.
Becomes even more apparent with decent headphones / amp DAC I can hear crackles I never heard before :)

I remember years ago I complained the shop about a Thom York’s vinyl that had really bad distortion - really sounded like something was wrong with the pressing! Sounded like something was wrong with the needle - or one channel of the phono stage or something but couldn’t reproduce with other records.

Only to listen to it digitally some years later and feeling rather stupid as it was on there too :) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back