Westone W80's - Having a hard time finding a portable DAC/AMP for iPhone
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jeff6605

New Head-Fier
I have tried 3 different versions (all returned, of the Cozoy Takt Pro - Problem is their supplied Lightning cable. The unit itself working with USB is solid. I liked the Takt a lot. Really disappointed that the manufacturer will not give me any answers or a warranty replacement lightning cable they say will actually work correctly. Their silent to it all. It cuts out and is out of spec or has had some very bad manufacturing problems (the supplied cable itself). Every time you move the cable from the iPhone plug area, song stops and you get interference. NO GOOD.

Looking for a substitute sub $400. I cannot find a lightning substitute amp worth while. I also cannot get any comments back from others using the W80s of what portable amp they use about the size of the Takt.

ANYONE, please. Do you have any solid recommendations. I want to put these W80's to their potential with Tidal HiFi or Masters with proper codecs and need some extra power. PLEASE, Call for all reasonable recommendations. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 15
You could easily pick up a used Mojo for well under $400. Hell, you could find them new around that price. It's a fantastically musical device with a ton of power. You would of course need the CCK adapter to use it with an iPhone though.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 15
1. Why do I need a camera adapter if I’m just using this to convert to lightning cable? What’s the camera adapter for?

2. What’s special about the Mojo over a Dragonfly Cobalt?

3.Are you referring to the “Chord” Mojo?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Without the camera adapter you cannot connect an iPhone (lightning) to USB for audio out. It's only called a camera adapter but it's not limited to only using with cameras. Some people have had success with a lightning to micro usb cable from Meenova in place of the CCK, but I haven't used it so I can't comment on the efficacy of it.

I haven't heard any of the Dragonfly's so I can't comment on how they sound. The Mojo to me just sounds so musical and natural. Everything is polished and effortless. It really opened up my ER4XR with drastically improved imaging compared to what I was using before (ES100). It's really enjoyable. Sorry I'm not the best at describing how it sounds.

Yes I'm referring to the Chord Mojo.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Without the camera adapter you cannot connect an iPhone (lightning) to USB for audio out. It's only called a camera adapter but it's not limited to only using with cameras. Some people have had success with a lightning to micro usb cable from Meenova in place of the CCK, but I haven't used it so I can't comment on the efficacy of it.

I haven't heard any of the Dragonfly's so I can't comment on how they sound. The Mojo to me just sounds so musical and natural. Everything is polished and effortless. It really opened up my ER4XR with drastically improved imaging compared to what I was using before (ES100). It's really enjoyable. Sorry I'm not the best at describing how it sounds.

Yes I'm referring to the Chord Mojo.
just sounds off that the voice channel off a camera adapter would satisfy the high fidelity that us sound heads are looking for.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Again, it’s just called a camera adapter. It allows for digital audio output into your dac of choice

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 15
I owned DragonFly Black and Mojo before. I would call DragonFly Black a baby Mojo except the resolution is lower and soundstage is narrower.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Have you received it? Share with us your impressions please :)
Have you received it? Share with us your impressions please :)
So, yes, I have received both and have been listening for just over a week. Here are my impressions.

Dragonfly Red -

- It listens good, compact and easy to travel with for the size. Sound Quality is better than device straight. The sound has a bit of a high frequency to my ears, so after an amount of listening it hurts my ears. My drums are exhausted. I don't know how to put it, but the sounds are realistic, but can only listen for some hours and I have to pull the plugs. Its punchier than the Mojo, but I don't get the very small subtleties of highlights from the experience. Overall a good dac for the price, but I leaning toward the Mojo in this area,

Chord Mojo -

- Mojo is clean listening. Period. You get full tonal range, and can hear those small details in the background like high hat or other electronic grind there putting in low. I highly recommend the Mojo over the Red. Its easier on the ears. I can listed to it for hours without my ears getting tired, like the Red. Sound is beautiful.

Caveats: I am a mobile person. I am always on the go. And my system comes with me. So for Firefly Red it wins. I am still choosing the Mojo but looking for solutions to carry it along with my phone. Its hard to stuff Mojo and phone in one pocket. I am wondering how others manage to say: go to the grocery store, take a walk, shop, travel; with the Mojo on their person with their phone.

Disappointments: I am very interested in MQA decoding. Neither do it properly. They both max at 96k Either the Red or the Mojo do no better than delivering MQA. I see 96 hz max on both.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Try Audirect HiliDAC Beam 2. It comes with Lightning connector and support full MQA unfolding. .

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 15
E3EA73B6-EAD3-40DD-AB15-84238E8BB0A6.jpeg
This u need for iPhone I am lucky get headphones with 4.4 balanced only u can use converter for now impressed a lot compare with other my hardware like Shanling M0 and Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2
This is killer support MQA from Xiami cheaper way and Onkyo HF player make music DSD 128 and sound amazing have him for 2 days from AliExpress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back