Westone W60 vs Shure SE846?
Aug 26, 2016 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

togiff

Head-Fier
If you go by the hype of Shure SE846- you would think they were actually better. They aren't. Its obviously paid product placement and commission/promotional interests at work.

I have used a lot of headphones over the years from Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE530, Westone 3/4r, and now SE846 and W60.

SE846 are nice. They do have a boomey sub like performance. What you lose is sound stage, clarity, detail, mid and high frequency performance. I haven't yet tried the various nozzles but that is coming. SE846 has a unique sound that you might like though. These headphones could satisfy if you picked them they don't disappoint like a cheap pair of headphones might.

I picked up Westone W60 and these suckers were amazing. What they have over the SE846 is amazing sound stage, detail, and clarity- you should hear it immediately as the music comes to life in an amazing thrilling way when you hear all the precision. You can hear things - high res details missing on the SE846.. The full spectrum of sound seems nicely represented at a level above the SE846. Bass is actually really good and more detailed on these bad boys. Ample bass. You probably won't have to worry about Bass at all with these. Getting the right fit matters too, possibly might want custom molds to make sure the seal is tight and perfect and the sound is going into your ear. Same issue with the shure of course.

If you have "golden" ears and enjoy energy and find fine detail performance and precision more appealing you will probably like the W60 a lot. Big improvement over W4r's if you come from them like I did. Westone 3- those were so good by themselves.. Similarly they sound vastly different from SE846s and add things that will blow your mind if you really have golden ears.. You must be able to hear tracks precisely.. You will probably want to be using lossless.. You will want a proper amp/dac.. Listening from iPhone or Android directly isn't recommended because the built in DAC/AMP is cheap. Listening from a properly powered not low power dac/AMP helps a lot. If you do portable that means likely an external portable will be very beneficial. Some laptops have properly powered and HQ dac/amp's.. In which case that will be enough for you.. Luckily iphone and Android support external dac/amp over USB/lightning.. I can tell you the difference is huge listening on my laptop with all audio enhancements turned off versus my LG G5- the laptop properly powers these bad boys and properly renders sound but the cellphone only barely does (huge downgrade- you should be able to hear a good difference with the right ear).

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Yup, but the build quality is complete junk, one thing or another will break on you within 12 months of ownership. No doubt that fitting 6 well tuned drivers in a such a small and comfortable enclosure was a great accomplishment for Westone, but the w60 (and it's smaller siblings) is not a practical design for everyday use like the se846, or a solid pair of customs. Amazing sound but I cannot recommend spending this kind of money on such a feeble product, it's really a shame. With Westone's current build quality I would draw the line at w30's price, anything over 500 bucks should get better attention.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Not at all accurate. I'm a picky consumer.. The W60 build quality is perfectly high quality. The size is smaller and they fit in your ears better and more comfortably. The SE846 are extremely large and hang out of the ear more..

They make both out of plastic. The Shure have some fancier packaging and stuff but that doesn't mean the W60 cheap by any means.

Ultimately the sonic performance of the W60 is superior. It sparkles more and tittilates the nervous system with its production.

I recommend every person who is out to buy get both and do side by side. Consider for both whether you need a custom molding to ensure proper fitting .. Listen to both with all included ear tips to hear all the different sound styles, especially the silicon star tips included with the westones .. The star tips seem to fit best and feel nicer in the ears, plus they allow more high frequency precision. The foam tips tend to block some of the high frequency. The triple flanges are ok. Custom molds from the audiologist actually improve sound considerably because the holes are larger and carry the sound less obstructed deep into the ear. High frequency and bass come through great with a proper seal.

Anyway I bought both W60 and SE846. There is nothing significantly better about the SE846- both will work.

On my previous westone'$ regarding durability they lasted three years before westone replaced them for a small fee out of warranty. They let me upgrade during the process. I got $500 model for $100 bucks. That's a good warranty. The new pair has lasted over three years no issues. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 5
I have both and agree the Westones are a more pleasing listening experience but the 846's do a lot of things well. It's a fuller sound. I can easily put in my w40's and think they are 60's for awhile. The Westones have the same sig from w20-w60 and to me the w30 is the best value. The w60's and 846's are over priced but how else do you get them? I plan on keeping both as I like different sound signatures it makes the hobby fun. But to say which is better that is still subjective. I even like my etymotic er4s for about 1 hour with a chord mojo. Reason only an hour as they are the most uncomfortable IEMS I have but when I want a very clear mostly neutral IEM these sound amazing. When I want highs and imaging I go Dunu 2000J. I even like my KLIPSCh x7's. I am nuts yes so what would I pick if only could have the 846 or w60 it would be the w60. It's the best jack of all trades TOTL IEM I have (pre w80). I would only get the w80's if I won the lottery which will NEVER happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back