westone w60 and Astell & kern ak100 (mk2)
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

efib

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, after owning shure 215, bose ae2 and b&w p5 I thought that it was the time to buy an high-end pair of iem, so my first choice was an jh costum  but with the ear molds it will be messy if the doctor isn't good so too much hassle + the taxes from us to europe will make it really expensive, so universal will be the solution, I wanted w40 but I think that I can go for w60 .
After that I want a good player, so far I use my iphone but it drains the battery and 5s isn't the best source, so I was looking at astell&kern ak100 and I noticed that there is an issue with the impedance of the player ( I read that the player must have 1/8 of the iem's impedance ?) so will the ak100 mk2 solve the "problem".

Thanks for your time,

Efi

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 6
If you're concerned about the output impedance of the AK100, the AK100 MKII and AK120 have a relatively low output impedance of 3ohms. I think the Westone are somewhere around the 31ohms impedance mark so either of these DAPs would be suitable.

The AK100 with 22ohm output impedance is baffling. I don't believe the 1/8 "rule" has to be be followed to the letter, but 22ohms makes the AK100 unsuitable for just about all IEMs and I doubt whether the built-in headphone amplifier has enough grunt to drive the bigger high impedance headphones to their full potential. Without an external amplifier I can't think of many headphones it would be suitable for.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 6
I've seen it and I talked with him, the only reason that I didn't buy it was that I bought new pair of iems but now I'm waiting for some funds and I thought I can stretch the money for a ak120 like yours .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back