Westone W4R Repair --any suggestions
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
My right channel on Westone W4R went out.  I think the problem may be the
cable. Westone tells me the W4R is obsolete and cannot be repaired. 

They will give me a special deal on an upgrade to current model--$375 plus shipping..

Thanks.
 I am old-school enough to think $400 items are not consumable and disposable. 

Don

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

I actually have the exact same problem. My right channel W4r got noticably quiter out of a sudden. First i thought it might be earwax built up. I cleaned them but there wasnt really any wax inside the earphone. Next I thought it might be the cable, so i bought a new cable. Of course that was highly unlikely in the first place, I know that now.

Unfortunately they are just 4 Months out of warranty, i wasnt in contact with westone yet, but with the seller (earphonesolutions.com) and they also told me westone wouldnt repair them so they offered me a 100$ discount on any headphone over 499$. But since the W4r where quite expensive in 2013 as well i wont give them up so fast.

Do you have any new informations on how to proceed Don?

Would appreciate some input :) :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, my problem turned out to be the cable. Which I determined my reversing the 
cable and finding the dead phone  moved from right right to left. Got a  beautiful  new
cable from Brian Goto, and all is well.

If there is some wrong in one of the phones, I think there is nothing you can do.  
Call WEstone.  They will give you a better deal than your dealer.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks Don,

I thought it might have been the cable too. But that wouldn't only cause the right phone to be quiter than the other, I should've thought about that. I bought one from Westone since I really like their cables.

It turned out to be another problem. Thanks to head-fi.org I found a thread with someone having a similar problem with a pair of shure se530's.
Turns out my W4r's have, just like the 530's, some sort of "Wax-stop" at the bottom of the ear Canal part. The cleaning tool isn't getting far enough down to reach that filter. I used a piece of paperclip to reach it. I removed it, it's a tiny red piece of plastic, and now everything is fine again.
Well, I have no wax filter in there now. But that's no problem. Next week they're going off to inearz to be remolded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back