Westone UM3X Review
Jan 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sugi123

New Head-Fier
Hello to the Head-fi community,

I wanted to share my impressions on my UM3X now that I have had them for about 6 months. Please be nice as it is my first review!

Build Quality
The build quality on these are relatively clean and simple, and I especially like the clear shell. However, since they are hand-built, there are some minor imperfections. With that said, there are no integrity flaws and I have been ruggedly using them for 6 months. The cable also is very durable and can withstand getting stuck in zippers, being pulled on, etc.

Sound Quality
Now for the most important aspect, the sound quality. In a few short words, these sound amazing! I had previously owned Shure SE215's and these are definitely a much more refined sound all the way from the sub-bass to the high end. This can be attributed to the BA driver instead of the dynamic drivers on the Shure 215's. It is a tad warm sounding but I prefer that type of sound instead of cold and completely analytical. Some specific examples are below:

-Miles Davis, Kind of Blue - these sound amazing! Perfect IEM for Jazz music on my Sansa Fuze v1 FLAC rip. Everything from the sub-bass to high end is crystal clear and non-fatiguing.

-Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - again amazing. The electric guitar sounds slightly warm (my preference) and the overall flow is very clean.

-POD, The youth of the nation - vocals and guitar are again very crisp.

Overall, I would highly recommend these headphones for any Jazz/Metal music as well as vocal/classical!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back