Westone UM3x-RC VS. Sennheiser IE 8 VS. ???
Nov 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Madcatyoji

New Head-Fier
I'm contemplating picking up a new set of high end IEM's, my price cap is $325-350. I have multiple amps etc. to drive them, what I'm looking for is a set of IEM's that will just blow me away. I currently have Grado sr125i's and Shure E2c's.

Up first is the Westone's: 
41Kj6mFKblL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like the removable cable, I don't know if they make upgrades for it, but I'm sure they do. I like the fact that this is a 3 driver earpiece, but I don't have the option to Demo these.

Next the Senn IE8's:

3LR5lS_FmXpIdSdTyjIjg1TeYn0DihBfIPl4kZZAVHmsjAae1J8Or-MEp5t4MMGugunVuL-MuGjD6TKkEO5l8RIYLg93w0IFyun9vKsvVVTBLzgNy_-dv880xboRMaOWVqxVq9juAt2ygA3XmXAawP2JN4Q

I really don't know to much about them, but they have gotten decent reviews. what do you guys think?

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 6
It depends on what kind of music you would like listening to.
IMO, IE8 is a safe choice as there are many people who can't get used to the soundsig of the UM3x.
For me, the IE8 let you feel more soul of the song, UM3x is a monitor IEM which you may feel dry.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
It depends on what kind of music you would like listening to.
IMO, IE8 is a safe choice as there are many people who can't get used to the soundsig of the UM3x.
For me, the IE8 let you feel more soul of the song, UM3x is a monitor IEM which you may feel dry.

It's true that there are many people who can't get used to the sound signature of the UM3X, but the IE8 is by no means a safe choice. The sound is veiled and the bass can easily sound overwhelming to many people who are looking for a more neutral and balanced sound. Of course, it depends on what sound the OP is looking for but if the OP is seriously considering the IE8 then I'd just like to point out that the upgrade, IE80, is also starting to become available and apparently the "veil" has been lifted. Also remember that the Westones have much more isolation than the IE8. 

There are definitely many other top-tiers in this price range that are worth considering, but it's much easier to recommend a pair of IEMs depending on what kind of music you listen to.  

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 6
The IEMs like IE80, FX700, EX1000 are most amazing with huge soundstage and shows great details in music.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 6
I listen to lots of different music. Lots of old blues/jazz as well as newer stuff. Most of my playlists include: Muddy waters, Etta James, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Black keys, Foo Fighters, maybe some offspring, Social Distortion, Dropkick Murphies, Louis Armstrong, Oingo Boingo, Chris Isaak and a bunch more. 

I'm most interested in clear presentation with good separation and soundstage. My budget is around $350 and the good sale days are coming soon so if you have any higher end choces or suggestions post'em and I will keep my eyes peeled for good deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back