Westone UM3X or JH5 Pro?
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

chicagojammer

Head-Fier
I am about to take the plunge on some new IEM's, last pair were stolen (super 5 fi Pro). I did not mind the super 5 fi's but the fit on them sucked, so I was looking at the JH5 Pro, but wonder if they are just going to sound similar to the Super fi 5 pro's. I have always wanted to step up to 3 drivers or more but dont want to spend more than 400. I pretty much use these on my commute to the city and when i run. I never really had a problem running with my UE's but i had to use foam tips, so gradually i lost the seal. The Westones seem to be much more snug in the ear as opposed to the almond sticking out of ear UE's.

I also have been reading about the refits people have to go through for the customs and the whole audiologist sounds like a pain in the ass. Of course, I would love to never need foam tips again and detachable wires.

I listen mostly to Pearl Jam and similar rock music.

So what do you guys think?

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 23
I think UM3x willbe better upgrade instead of Custom because UM3x is really detailed and it's(JH5Pro) won't be any better than UM3x.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 23
Well, I owned a UE-11, the sound from a custom product definitely is alot better, but the fit was a big issue for me. I guess my ears are just odd.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I owned a UE-11, the sound from a custom product definitely is alot better, but the fit was a big issue for me. I guess my ears are just odd.

Its not exactly fair to compare the UM3X to a 1000+ dollar custom. :p

I've tried the JH5 demo at Jaben and it sounded horrendous compared to my UM3X. Everything seemed far too forward on the JH5s and with less detail.

I would highly recommend considering buying a UM3X second hand and them remodelling it into customs with Unique Melody (check the thread on that) later IF you like them. They aren't for everyone. Overall it will be cheaper than the JH5 (i think) and will be of very good quality

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've tried the JH5 demo at Jaben and it sounded horrendous compared to my UM3X. Everything seemed far too forward on the JH5s and with less detail.

I would highly recommend considering buying a UM3X second hand and them remodelling it into customs with Unique Melody (check the thread on that) later IF you like them. They aren't for everyone. Overall it will be cheaper than the JH5 (i think) and will be of very good quality

I don't think thats worth it. No warranty, and it gonna cost the same as a JH5. Or maybe even more.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 23
What about a um3x compared to the Es2x, the Westone dual driver? I guess I am curious if the fact of having a custom really ups the quality of the sound. I figured if i have a good deal with the universal, the isolation and everything will be on par. I have actually read some posts from people where they claimed to prefer the um3x comfort over the um56 or whatever that mold Westone makes.

How much are the es2x and the es3x anyways?

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The detail and transparency is very good on the JH5. I guess the demo must sound very different than what I'm hearing.lol

It is also a big step above the UE super 5 fi pro. I can not think of any universal that is all around better then the jh5, from what I have listened to.
Also dealing with all the uncomfortable foam tips is annoying...

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think thats worth it. No warranty, and it gonna cost the same as a JH5. Or maybe even more.

There is warranty for a year for the customs I believe but you'll have to ship back to china for that. I know Null Audio (based in Singapore) has warranty and a 30 day refit. Perfect for me here
biggrin.gif

I guess it might cost a bit more. It all depends on how cheap u can get the UM3X second hand. Ideally, you'd get one with an utterly trashed cable and housing but with working drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about a um3x compared to the Es2x, the Westone dual driver? I guess I am curious if the fact of having a custom really ups the quality of the sound. I figured if i have a good deal with the universal, the isolation and everything will be on par. I have actually read some posts from people where they claimed to prefer the um3x comfort over the um56 or whatever that mold Westone makes.

ES3X is 800 dollars i believe. Well beyond the price of these two earphones. Customizing earphones may not create the huge benefit you're expecting. It largely depends on your ears and how well universal tips fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The detail and transparency is very good on the JH5. I guess the demo must sound very different than what I'm hearing.lol

It is also a big step above the UE super 5 fi pro. I can not think of any universal that is all around better then the jh5, from what I have listened to.
Also dealing with all the uncomfortable foam tips is annoying...

Perhaps. The demo was also incredibly large (2 or 3 times larger than the UM3X if i recall correctly). I think i got a good fit with it but the extra distance probably ruined the sound a bit.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Iam using UE10Pro and they sound much bigger(really big and fuller soundstage), cleaner and detailed than any universal IEMs i tried before. I think the immidiate fect i felt when i heard UE10Pro first time was how clean, detailed and fuller they sound than any universal IEMs i tried earlier unclude IE8 has huge soundstage but UE10Pro soundstage is even bigger and fuller. I will recomand JH13Pro if you want to go to the Customs but lower than that you may want to upgrade again later. The JH5Pro maybe sound little better than UM3x but i doubt it willbe much much difference.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 23
yeah not sure if i want to be running around with 1,000 dollar earphones, especially since my last IEMS were stolen, id be pretty pissed off if those got robbed. I would feel 1/3 as angry if it were the UM3X or JH5 stolen, i guess if your customs get stolen the person that steals them cant use em at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Jup, I can comment on that, the IE8 are extremely runner friendly.
Firstly because they do not isolate as well as others, but still sufficiently and secondly,
the cable has no microphonics.
They fit pretty snug and are incredibly light, thus making it a good choice.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 23
so you did not have any problem losing seal while you ran? this usually is what annoyed me about the Super 5 Fi pros, you could see me on the track shoving them in my ears in anger, but like i said before the design of those earphones was so the center of gravity was outside the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back