Westone UM3x and the Headstage Arrow 12HE
Jun 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

joplin

New Head-Fier
Hi

Is it necessary to use the Headstage Arrow 12HE headphone amp with the Westone UM3x on the Ipod 3g(64GB)?
Whether the answer is yes/no please tell me why.

Thanks
greg

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 11
Greg, It may be a case of the  Emperor’s New Clothes, as far as amps for sensitive, efficient, stage monitors, are concerned.  If you have it, use it.  If you don’t, why spend money on something that you do not need.  Your in-ear stage monitors are very efficient and not likely to benefit strongly from an amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joplin   Is it necessary to use the Headstage Arrow 12HE headphone amp with the Westone UM3x on the Ipod 3g(64GB)?

You have  plenty of headroom on your ipods controls.  That is, you can play it loud with little volume showing on the screen.  A headphone amp salesman may tell you different, but I would like to see them tell us why.  Maybe it will make it a little louder that’s all. 

More important that your source material be CD quality 320 kbps at least.  What are you trying to do.  If you are using it as a portable why carry around all that extra stuff.  I am wearing UM3x’s.  No distortion that I can hear.

Your Westone’s are new technology, cutting edge.  They were designed not to need it.  Like most in ear  earphones, the UM3x has excellent sound quality and are very efficient, so they work well with an iPod without an amp.

See my post about why do we need headphone amps on IEM.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 11
lol, theres that phrase again, is it in a phrase book from somewhere? you have not ANY experience of what you speak (at least not with amps); that much is clear, UM3X are better than most WRT with or without an amp, but I did find an improvement personaly. if they were my only IEMs I might think twice about it. touch 3g has a decent quality amp, but it does stuggle a touch with some music with complex passages and the already a touch intimate soundstage of UM3X is compounded. do you feel its lacking OP?

and to the above poster, why you feel the need to post a large picture of an IEM that the OP actually owns (means he knows what it looks like) is beyond me.

please avoid giving advice about things you have nothing but assumptions about.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Tell me how you know his opinion is an assumption?
And If you disagree with someones opinion I would rather hear why YOU think the Headphone amp is a good idea.

I'm on the forum to get info on pros and Con's and not to nit-pick on what someone else says.I thought we were all grown ups?
We all have an opinion, Good or Bad/ That's a fact.
I post about a particular subject and that's what I want to read about
How much time on these boards is dedicated to verbal diarrhea(Saying a lot about nothing)
I enjoy coming to the forum but do not like all the other stuff.
Thats my 2cents worth
Greg Joplin

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
What makes you think he already owns it?

i dunno but.... it still doesnt make sense for the huge picture. cos unless u are completely dumb u'd have known how the arrow12he, um3x, and Ipod 3g(64GB) looks like right? like duh...

back on topic, imo i DO feel that there IS an improvement when using an amp with the um3x and ipod. i use T3D and a decent LOD and even though these arent top notch i already feel that i aint gonna use the ipod (ipod video (ipod 5.5g)) hp out ever again

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 11
IMHO and speaking from experience I would have to agree with QUSP. I own a touch paired with a headamp ae2. I also use the um3x and there is a definite improvement in sq when amped.

Now on with the pissing contest.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 11
why are you spraying the forum with al this class A business?  just use the search feature and you will find numbers of references to it.

its still -possible for an amp to sound like total class A crap

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 11
What the heck happened in this thread, I'm seeing so much hostility over nothing.

My personal experience with sensitive IEMs and amps.... I generally don't need the amps. They offer a little improvement with IEMs I've tried, but not worth the extra bulk. So on the go I don't use them. When I'm at home with a laptop then by all means I attach a DAC and Amp and enjoy the IEMs with them.

But they're certainly not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back