Westone UM2's
May 8, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Possede

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, this is my first post here. I have been browsing your forums for a wee while now and I decided to buy the Westone UM2's after much deliberation between them and the Shure E5c's. I ordered them directly from Westone for $330 and I'm wondering, since I live in the UK, what postal service they use. I have sent them numerous emails and still no reply after 3 days. What are peoples experiences when dealing with Westone? I can't wait 'till these babies come.
600smile.gif
Hee hee.

Thanks,
Possédé

May 8, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 28
Hey. I'll be delighted to post some pictures and a *short review*. I'm not much of an audiophile, but I am picky when it comes to sound quality.
tongue.gif
Just wondering... Does the Shure E5c/E3c clear flex sleeves fit onto the UM2's?
As to choosing the UM2's over the E5c's, simple. From looking at comparisons between the E5c's and the UM2's it is clear that most people enjoy the UM2's over the E5c's. It looks like the E5c's "Memory wire" is a pain, the UM2 has a better insertion angle, the UM2's bass isn't as "bloated" as the E5c's and the UM2's have more detailed treble (which I like in my music). Ahh... The wait.
tongue.gif

May 8, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 28
I ordered directly from Westone too. They're not much on communication, and will leave you hanging. However, they did ship pretty fast - I got mine within a week or so. Everything was well packaged and taken care of.

When you get your Westones, be sure to try different tips with them. I've found that using Ety tips (triflanges, foamies, although you have to cut both down to size, they're too long) really changes their sound. The Ety triflanges, with the top flange lopped off, bring out the treble and lower the boomy midbass.

Looking foward to your impressions.

May 8, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 28
The wait will give you time to save money for the Uber customs bill thats gonna come with them dude
frown.gif
It sucks the big one but expect to pay 20% on that $330 + a £4 Post Office handling fee - At todays exchange rates that works out at £38.90 before the robbing bast's will let you go and collect them
mad.gif
Sorry to pi*s on your chips like this but it's the perils of importing i'm afraid
rolleyes.gif
Enjoy them anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* - Welcome to Head-Fi - Sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
The wait will give you time to save money for the Uber customs bill thats gonna come with them dude
frown.gif
It sucks the big one but expect to pay 20% on that $330 + a £4 Post Office handling fee - At todays exchange rates that works out at £38.90 before the robbing bast's will let you go and collect them
mad.gif
Sorry to pi*s on your chips like this but it's the perils of importing i'm afraid
rolleyes.gif
Enjoy them anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Why didn't you have them declare a lower value on the package?

May 8, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
Enjoy them anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Actually, import dues work out to 26.88% now... If they ship by Fedex or Parcelfarce they might charge you a brokerage fee on top of that too. So expect a bill of ~ £50 ($80). The term "Rip off Britain" wasn't coined for nothing. If you get away with it, thank your lucky stars!

May 8, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 28
Argh, I thought this would be the case. I don't think a week is "pretty fast" shipping to be honest. And then comes the import charges. Damn.
rolleyes.gif
It's not my wallet, it's my dads. So I'm fine. I got charged around £15 for my Vaja iPod case to be imported and my dad went nuts.
etysmile.gif
Wait 'till he finds out it's around £40. Oh God.
basshead.gif
Thanks guys.

May 8, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 28
Customs will slow the delivery too - Just to add insult to injury! - My MS1's took about 3 weeks
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyverl
Parcelfarce

Thats funny!

May 8, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Customs will slow the delivery too - Just to add insult to injury! - My MS1's took about 3 weeks
eek.gif

Oh God.
blink.gif
When I imported my case from Argentina it took 2 days via FedEx! That's outrageous.

May 8, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

eek.gif

Was this using normal Postal Service offerings? Or was this with UPS/FedEx?

EDIT: In future postings, it would probably be very useful for readers if you specified exactly which service you are using, so that we can form an opinion on what option may be best.

May 8, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Was this using normal Postal Service offerings? Or was this with UPS/FedEx?

EDIT: In future postings, it would probably be very useful for readers if you specified exactly which service you are using, so that we can form an opinion on what option may be best.

This was via USPS Global priority i think - Whatever Alessandro use for their 'free' shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

This was via USPS Global priority i think - Whatever Alessandro use for their 'free' shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

Ouch, I don't know what to use now. Someone said in another thread that USPS Global Priority undergoes less scrutiny when compared to services like UPS. Given this experience, it doesn't seem so..?

May 8, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 28
A pair of USD 170 Ray Ban glasses got through to me without duties using USPS. Just mark it as gift on customer's deceleration. Put the value to be less than *something*. In Denmark it's €45. In the UK i think it was £38.

Check the last couple of posts in P the D's group buy thread.

May 8, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 28
You guys are really quick to respond.
icon10.gif
Unlike when I post something on iPodLounge (On the earphones section) and it takes hours, sometimes days to get a reply.
tongue.gif
So what service does Westone use to ship they're products internationally and do you get a tracking number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back