Westone UM2 vs. Shure E5c
Jun 22, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Amazon is selling the Shure E5c for $329, which effective means that they're now in exact competition with the UM2s. This is the lowest (mainstream) price that i've seen for the E5c headphones, and i'm getting the itch to jump. But i've heard a lot of good things about the UM2s.

I currently have a set of the Shure E2s (due to their reputation for stronger bass than the E3s). Bass response and prominence is of great importance to me, though i still value a good quality headphone. That being said, i also love my Beyer 770s.

So, now considering that the UM2s and the E5cs are at the same price, i'm hoping that i could get some opinions about which are the (perceived) better buy and which would make a basshead happier.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

mmm i got my um2 for 50$ less then this buying them on ebay from a regular retailer

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I wouldn't call it overkill, because I've heard of the nozzles on the UM2 breaking off and know of at least one person on this board that it has actually happened to. Mine never broke, but I was extremely careful with them. I examined the area on the monitors where the nozzle is glued to the driver housing and could see where that might be a point of failure or could possibly cause a problem in the future. I doubt it'll ever be an issue for most people, but it can and does happen so prospective buyers should be aware of the pros and cons of each model before they make their decision.

To remove the tips, a simple twist and slight pull should be excercised and that's the correct way of doing it. Kind of like opening a twist and open beer. So many people break their ety 4r bores as well. Unfortunately, the instruction booklet does not cover this at all. The Westone UM2 rules! Yep, I think they are much better than the E5.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
The way in which the nozzles are affixed to the assemblies is quite different - the E5 nozzle is keyed into place, the UM2 is not. There is a silicone boot encasing the drivers in the E5, there is not in the UM2. These may not seem like major things, but they are.

Fair enough. I never had both in my hand at the same time and I'm not sure I would have noticed those differences even if I had.

I do think they are pretty much tied for being the best universal IEM ergonomically and aesthetically speaking, which is to say the both have a low profile relative to the ear which is a big deal if you want to use them in bed or on a long flight. I like the minimalist appearance of both of them as well, though some people might like the "bling" factor of the e4 and the UE universal models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back