Westone UM2 update a few months on.
Mar 10, 2006 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

troublemaker

100+ Head-Fier
Well i have had my westone UM2's now and i have to say that they have worn in SPECTACULARLY.

The treble has audibly increased after the initial burn in process, so that they now sound well balanced whatever the music being played.

I NEVER thoguht they would, but they have now surpassed my Ety ER4P's as the headphone of choice for most music. The only thing the ety really does to me is the REALLY low (40hz down) bass, the etys are leaner but better extended, but they just sound a little too "bright" for me now.......what i thought was detail probably was just brightness.

Dont get me wrong - the Ety is SUPERB, but for all round listening i find i pick up the Westones (with comply's) now more and more.

Friends have commented they sounded "way more open" as well so i think its not just phsycho acoustics in action
biggrin.gif

EDIT - Best edit my Sig
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 4
I would agree, I have had my UM2's now for about a month and I'm really loving them. I don't use my ER4's anymore at all and even find myself using the UM2's instead of my Sennheiser or DT's. When I'm not traveling using them with my SR-71 is even more pleasant but I don't feel the need to travel with my SR-71 as I did with my ETY's which makes packing a bit easier. All in all one of my favorite purchases in the last year!

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 4
I've done some heavy-duty comparisons between the UM2 and E4C, and I have to admit that I wouldn't rely on either for anything but portable use. For me, interestingly, it's been more a matter of carrying around a 3HA amp to reduce the bass on the UM2. (I keep on gettng that "bass boost" sound that I've never cared for.)

I"m glad you've found your perfect sonic fit...and feel a bit of envy.

confused.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 4
slightly ironically i seldom use them portably anymore - i have acquired a rega ear recently (and due to its handy "mute" feature the channel imbalance thing is a no brainer - its in series to my power amp so i can feed it a smaller signal to work off) so i use them at home.

They are maybe a bit bassy, and are by no means the perfect phone - but they are getting nearer to my "ideal" than the ety's did. Plus i really find IEM's comfy now (especially the comply tips) and i can wear them for several hours without any issues.......the feeling of "open ears" is something my SR80's cannot compete with.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back