Westone UM2 Review
Nov 6, 2005 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sidewinder

500+ Head-Fier
I posted this review also on Earphone Solutions

Don't expect any quality writing .. enjoy anyway

First of all, I’d like to say I was positively surprised by the fast delivery (international order, 5 days). The plastic package comes with an airline adapter, 2 pair of normal and 2 pair of short Comply tips and a small pouch.

I owned the Shure E2C for a couple of months, and my first opinion was that it didn’t sound a lot better compared to those clip-on ears that came with my CD-player. But after serious burn-in and combining with a Marantz home amp they did sound quit good. The really low frequenies although sounded somewhat muddy en the higher frequencies sounded harsh.

Now I have the same feeling about the UM2’s when using them for the first time. First reaction was that they didn’t actually deliver a totally new and way better sound in general which I had hoped for. I’ve been listening for about 5 hours since delivery and I have to admit that they produce a very clean sound, with very accurate low and high end (thanks to the dual drivers I guess) compared to the E2C.

Music is a lot more sharper in general. Voices are very clear, they aren’t that much pulled forward and instruments have a lot more sharpness compared to the Shures. With 119 dB/mW they are easily driven by portable MP3 or CD-players.The Shures had 105 dB/mW which means you have to turn op the sound level to get to same sound pressure compared to the Westone UM2’s on a lower sound level.

They also have a different sound signature compared to the Shures I used in the past. Shure just sounded so much more powerful and forward to my ears. These Westones do whatever it takes to deliver nice sound, don’t get me wrong, but it’s just that I’m used to sound coming from E2C’s. That’s the biggest disadvantage I guess if you’re trying a new brand of in-earphones. I was a bit shocked by hearing a totally new sound signature, and I was thinking if I made the right decission by choosing Westone. But I can adapt fast.

I don’t think I’m going to buy an amp soon cause these in-ears can deliver some decibels. A good CD-player is enough. Hell, even then you’re going to get high quality sound. It produces even better sound compared to my pc (which has a onboard soundcard. It’s good for the usual stuff, but using these UM2’s, you’re gonna need a better source imo). I don’t have an MP3-player, so I can’t compare the sound quality, but I swear by a nice CD-player. They cost less, have very fine materials built in on a higher end model, and play every song in WAV-format (highest quality possible).

300 dollars is a lot of money for these small electronic devices. In Belgium, the country I’m living in, everything costs a lot more. I paid 120 dollars (100 euro) for the E2C’s, and if I didn’t know about this website I’d buy the Westones on a UK website where they cost 500 dollars (400 euro). Crazy isn’t it?

A final word, while listening to some rock songs, I don’t think I’m gonna need a new in-ear monitor for a long long while. Probable never, cause this site gives the UM2’s the editor’s choice, and editors can’t be wrong.

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

I don’t think I’m going to buy an amp soon cause these in-ears can deliver some decibels.

Thanks for the nice re-review.

I've encountered the statement above twice recently about headphone amps. True, they can make the sound louder (something the UM2 doesn't really need). In reality, most people use them because their electronics are of much better quality than their current players. As a result, the sound is brighter, clearer, and the music better defined. The UM2 sounds fine without amping, but really blossoms with.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd like to order some IEMs one day buy I'm still torn over Westone or Ultimate Ears. Are the super fi. 3s any good? Or are they not really worth it until you shell out for the 5s?

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
but it’s just that I’m used to sound coming from E2C’s. That’s the biggest disadvantage I guess if you’re trying a new brand of in-earphones.

Totally agreed. Some people just jump to conclusion after a brief audition, especially people who sells their iems after like 4-5 hours of use, claiming that they hated them alrdy, I think it's ridiculous.

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Whats the saying? 'More money than sense'?
580smile.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
What UK site is that? I have been unsuccessful in finding a site that sells westones'

I bought the UM2's via Earphone Solutions, it sells for 300 dollars.

UK website: PJBox, it sells for 280 pounds (about 500 dollars)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back