westone um2 or Shure E500PTH
Dec 7, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 21
I picked up a pair of e500s today and like them very much. I've never heard the UM2s so can't give an impression between the two but it seems we listen to the same type music and the e500s sound just great to my ears.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 21
I think I'm in a similar position as the thread starter. I want a "fun" sound over an "analytical" sound. I'm not an audiophile, per se, however I want to experience excellent energetic sound rather than super detail that may reveal flaws in my 128kbps music and make for a worse sound experience.

Thus, I'm leaning towards the UM2. A good option? Price is of little consideration for me.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #18 of 21
Curse You Head-Fi!!! Before reading this thread and the EQing the E500 thread.... I was perfectly happy with my E4s
blink.gif
...grumble....grumble.....grumble.... now i have to decide betwix the E500 and the UM2 /sigh/

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 21
another vote for the e500. the um2 are indeed very midrangey and lack some serious treble sparkle, which made them sound very polite and quite undetailed to me and i also found the bass to me somewhat loose.
these are things the e500 do better, especially the lows are very well defined and tight, though the top end is still not as extended as in better full sized phones.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #20 of 21
I am also having a hard time deciding as there are 50% pro E500, 50% pro UM-2. I have seen some post where ppl are saying about sibilance on UM-2 if listening to poor mp3s such as chinese pop songs (which I do listen to).

So where can one get good return policy for Westone & Shure? I know earphone solutions have 15% restocking fee. I have asked whether I can try 2 of them, and return 1 of them without restocking fee, and they say no.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 21
Daveypadot, you mentioned in another thread that you were a guitar player. if there is even the slightest possibility of using your in ear monitors on stage i'd look into ultimate ears custom fit products, starting at about the same price as shure's e500s. not trying to take you away from shure, i have two sets myself, but it's worth looking into.

sg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back