Westone UM1 vs. Nuforce NE-8/NE-7M
Dec 27, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

db26

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking these forums for the past couple days, attempting to replace my cx300s with some higher quality IEMs. My budget is pretty much up to $100 (can go over slightly), and I thought that I had settled on the UM1s as they generally received praise all around, but now I notice the buzz around these Nuforce IEMs, so I'm back to where I started.

I haven't been able to find any explicit comparisons between the UM1 and NE-8, so I figured I'd start a new thread and ask. I'd really prefer answers from people who have used both, as I have a good idea of what each is supposed to sound like, but haven't found anyone who has actually used both.

I think what I'm worried about is that the Nuforce phones are just a short-lived craze, not actually worthy of all the praise that they have been getting (since I have seen some people who really disliked them as well). While the UM1 on the other hand seems to get decent marks across the board.

I don't think I would want the NE-7M as they (1) have a mic that I will never use and (2) just don't look as comfortable as the NE-8s. But I could be wrong about that, and please correct me if I am. Comfort is a big selling point for me, and while I'm not a basshead, I worry about some saying that the NE-8s don't have enough bass. Especially since I am going from cx300s, which have tons of bass. I will be listening to some hip-hop and trance, but not exclusively. I wouldn't base anything off my musical tastes as it ranges pretty widely across the board - just go for what would sound the best on average.

Of course, if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to consider them as well. Forget about the price if it is under $100 (or slightly above). Just compare the headphones themselves, as I just want the best phones within my budget, not the best value. (Though, even as I type this, I find that hard to believe, heh. But, yeah, let's go on that.)

Side note: If I were to somehow get the SCL4s for $80, would that be a good choice? I don't really know much about them as I considered them to be closer to the $200 range before today. But I'm not sure I'd even want white headphones, so don't take this inquiry too seriously.

And I'm sure I'm just rambling at this point, so I'll just stop. Thank you for any input you might have!

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 12
I have both (UM1s are out for repair). I would definitely go with the UM1s. The NE-8s are terribly lacking in the low end. The sound stage is condensed and the mids are flat. I bought the NE-8s as a beater pair (for the gym and jogging) hoping that they would be a fun sounding pair of IEMs. I am able to use equalization to get a better quality of sound, but they don't live up to my initial expectations.

-Pony

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the responses! I actually broke down and just ordered the Shure SCL4s. At the price of $80 I just couldn't resist with savings at around half! Hopefully I've made the right choice. If not, these should have great resale value in the near future as others have pointed out on these forums.

I called my local Guitar Center and while they didn't have them in stock at the store, the representative I spoke with on the phone was amazing and called their distributor to have them drop shipped to me. I'm so impressed with their customer service, and can't wait to receive my SCL4s! Anyone else who's trying to score a pair of these at the $80 mark, I'd advise dealing with Guitar Center brick & mortar stores if their CS is anything like this one!

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by db26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses! I actually broke down and just ordered the Shure SCL4s. At the price of $80 I just couldn't resist with savings at around half! Hopefully I've made the right choice. If not, these should have great resale value in the near future as others have pointed out on these forums.

I called my local Guitar Center and while they didn't have them in stock at the store, the representative I spoke with on the phone was amazing and called their distributor to have them drop shipped to me. I'm so impressed with their customer service, and can't wait to receive my SCL4s! Anyone else who's trying to score a pair of these at the $80 mark, I'd advise dealing with Guitar Center brick & mortar stores if their CS is anything like this one!

What Guitar Center did you call? Who did you talk with. I have been calling all my local ones for a while trying to find a set and haven't had any luck.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 12
I thought the SCL4s didn't have that much bass presence.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the SCL4s didn't have that much bass presence.

The SCL4s have really clean bass. The Ne-7m have more quantity of bass but not the clarity.

I have both and I am keeping the Ne-7m for beater use at the gym.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah I'll see how clean the SCL4 bass is as soon as my order comes in (like everyone else waiting lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back