Westone UM1 versus Sony MDR-EX71
Apr 8, 2007 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rad212

New Head-Fier
When exercising, I have been using my iAudio G3 with the Sony MDR-EX71's (no headphone amp). The EX71's sound good to my ears (bass can be a bit too much)but the cable is thin and gets tangled and is very microphonic. Whenever I move during exercise the cable transmits the sound to the headphones. I ordered the UM-1's after reading all the posts about sound, comfort and price. When they arrived, they looked well constructed and I changed the comply foam tips to get a good fit. With the Sony's I was using the iAudio with all the Jeteffect settings off. When I listened to the UM-1's, the bass was weak, the highs were recessed and they just sounded cold and distant compared to the Sony's. The cord was better, no microphonics and the comfort was good but the sound was disappointing. As a headphone reference, I am using a Wooaudio WA-6 with HD-600's (awesome combo, review next week) fed by my modified Shanling CDT-100. I know my portable rig can't come close but I was looking for a similar sound signature....

The only way to get decent sound from the UM-1's with the iAudio G3 is to use the EQ for rock, turn on the BBE, add Mach Bass and try MP Enhance. After playing around with these effects, I was able to get good sound but only after equalizing the s#@t out of them. I haven't heard any other IEM's in the $100 range but I wonder how the Jays, V-Moda, Shure, Ety's and UE would sound without all the EQ added.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 8
before burn-in both UM1s and E3s don't play well. However, many people prefer EX71 (or other 9mm dynamic driver canal earphones) over UM1s (or other 100$ price range IEMs). Bass on UM1s isn't as deep and as powerfull as is on EX71s. Maybe that's the reason?

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...90&action=view

interestingly the review on these aren't that good but ppl here in the form speak pretty glowingly about them.

so are they good?

Thanks for the link manhattanproj. I wish I read that before I ordered the UM-1's. I agree with the first review there.

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before burn-in both UM1s and E3s don't play well.

IEMs (not ex71) don't go through burn-in because they have balanced armatures. The ex71 has regular drivers so they may be subject to burn-in of some sort.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 8
I listened to the UM-1's through my Wooaudio WA-6 and guess what- they sound far better and more accurate than the EX-71's and there is bass. Now the Sony's sound too bright. In conclusion, the UM-1's are more accurate than the Sony's when using a high quality source- my bad. Next up- the HD-600's with the WA-6
600smile.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 8
UM1 are IEMs, Sony ain't. So there is no reason to say that one is better than another. Just different...
Still i'm looking forward to buy UM1s, not to find better sound than in Ep630, but to have better isolation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back