Westone UM1 or Phonak PFE?
May 26, 2009 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

swaneon

Head-Fier
I have an iphone and was looking at one of these.
Which one should i get?
The westones are $90 on ebay after cashback and NIB
At audeo the Phonaks are $125 after coupon

I love movie scores and rock music.
I listen to all types though

May 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 13
Completely different phones. I had the UM1s for a short time, but felt their highs were rolled off and they were too warm/dark for my tastes. The PFEs are a much more detailed phones, more mid/high focused, and while they are power hungry, the one DAP that did drive them pretty well without an amp was my Touch 2G. I preferred the black filters for added bass, and also used the bass boost EQ with my Touch, depending on the genre.

To me, it's not close, as the PFEs are a better phone. But you might want to wait, because I believe Phonak is releasing a new version (crack-free and new cable, with some other mystery sound enhancements) in about a month or so. I might make do and wait for the new model.

May 27, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Really? I have only had my PFEs since February! well, my wallet is probably going to be more lighter.

May 27, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely different phones. I had the UM1s for a short time, but felt their highs were rolled off and they were too warm/dark for my tastes. The PFEs are a much more detailed phones, more mid/high focused, and while they are power hungry, the one DAP that did drive them pretty well without an amp was my Touch 2G. I preferred the black filters for added bass, and also used the bass boost EQ with my Touch, depending on the genre.

To me, it's not close, as the PFEs are a better phone. But you might want to wait, because I believe Phonak is releasing a new version (crack-free and new cable, with some other mystery sound enhancements) in about a month or so. I might make do and wait for the new model.

new version? no kidding? i just got my PFE one month ago... still glad to hear though

May 27, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 13
I have some Perfect PFE s for sale. They really do hold up against more expensive iems. I am listening to them right now with Dead Can Dance and they get a lot of the space detail right.

May 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 13
I just received emails from Phonak Asia-Hub@sg, and they had mentioned about the arrival of the new batch by the end of June
smily_headphones1.gif
.... But, no info about new materials or cable. : Just wait and see.

May 28, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 13
It is supposed to be a fix to the infamous PFE cracking problem.. They are changing the materials.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5677897-post213.html wbrownie is the phonak rep in head-fi AFAIK.

Price changes is not known, but existing PFE owners with cracks are supposed to be able to get replacements from the new batch..!

May 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 13
As a bit of help to the OP, I am starting to prefer the PFE to my UM3X which is, on all accounts, far superior to the UM1. That should tell you how big a value these PFE's really are! To clarify my statement, I am using them with my iPod Classic > LOD > Fiio E5 amp.

May 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received emails from Phonak Asia-Hub@sg, and they had mentioned about the arrival of the new batch by the end of June
smily_headphones1.gif
.... But, no info about new materials or cable. : Just wait and see.

interesting... wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back