Westone UM1 - Intial Impressions
Feb 20, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thestumper

New Head-Fier
I've had my UM1's for about a week, so I thought I'd give my initial impressions for those who might be on the fence regarding this particular IEM. I'm no expert, and my only basis for comparison is the Shure E2C, so take it for what its worth (stock buds and Sony ex51's don't count...). My source components are an iPod 5G and a Nano (wifes).

Packaging: Very nice package. More than necessary actually; the box ws quite large. Included phones, case, manual, Comply tips (2 short, 2 long), cleaning tool.

Build Quality: Very good. Not as heavy-duty as the Shure E2C's, but they're almost overkill. The cord is EXCELLENT on these. Strong but very flexible. Its only been a week, but they do seem nicely built.

Comfort: With the large comply tips, superb. It might be my favorite feature at this point. One of the reasons that I wanted to try something other than the E2C's was the simple fact that the Shure's would start to bother me after about an hour in my ear. I find the Comply tips extremely comfortable, but they are not without issue...

Seal: Up until yesterday, I had a hard time getting a good seal. The small tips are virtually useless for me. Even the large ones were giving me fits. Apparently I've found a way to wedge them in and get a good seal now, and we'll see if that lasts. Its really tight at the moment. Note that I don't blame Westone for this; my right ear canal is oversized due to surgery years ago. I could always get a nice tight seal with the Shure medium plastic tips (not the foamies), and the rumor is that you can use some of the Shure tips (e3, e4, e5) with the Westones. This might solve the seal problem, but exacerbate the comfort issue.

Sound: Like others here have said, they are a "fun" IEM. You do sacrifice some detail with these, but the upside is that for me, they never sound harsh. Detail is in the eye of the beholder; what passes as detailed for some might be considered shrill by others. The UM1 does have detail, but its not analytical. Overall its a very warm sound. I would have to say that the Shure E2C is more analytical in comparison.

- Bass is very good; better than I expected. Close to that of the E2C, but a better balance. Nice and tight, and extends deep enough for my jazz collection, as well as the classical stuff I like. The Shure's were a little TOO much in the bass department.

- Mids are a littel more compressed/congested than what I'm used to, but still good. Shure's seem a littel more open, but it comes back to that balance issue: the UM1's never get fatiguing for me, where as the Shure's bug me after a while.

- Highs are rolled off in the upper frequencies; I knew this going in. I had the same issues with E2C's but again, the Westones seem to balance everything out better. They're never grating or harsh on the high end; just a little lacking. Smooth.

Overall, a very clean sound with the tradeoffs you would expect with a single-driver IEM. I think its a great compromise; if you want to just enjoy the music, they have a great sound and are easy to listen to. If you want to analyze every pice of music you own, look elsewhere. They do respond pretty well to EQ; I found that while the "Jazz" setting on my 5G was a bit much in terms of base, the "Acoustic" setting seemed to improve things across the board. In general, I try to avoid EQ, but for testing, I found it to make a noticeable enough difference to at least mention.

Value: For the money, they're tought to beat. Well made, great sound (for the non super-critical listener) and reasonably priced. I bought mine direct from Westone, but would recommend earphone solutions as well (I'll explain later...)

Niggles: The comply tips are expensive. Assuming I have solved the seal issue, I fear that the large complys still wont last long enough to make it economical. If I switch to a flange/rubber type tip, I worry I'll loose the comfort. I know I'm a cheap SOB, but at $10.00 for three pair, I figure I'll be putting 80-100 bucks a year into tips. Too much, IMHO, but they are comfy...

Verdict: I like them a lot for what they are, but I was tempted by the SuperFi 5 Pro's. I don't have them yet, but at $150 (w/rebate) I couldn't resist. I surmise from what I've read here that the 5's will stomp the UM1's across the board. No, its not really a fair comparison, but for $50.00 more, I will likely end up keeping the super Fi's if they perform as advertised. Westone offers a 30-day money back guarantee, and thats why I ordered direct. HOWEVER, in their intended market, the UM1's are excellent. Don't misunderstand: against E2C's and similar lower end models, I think they'll excel. They represent a superb first step into high-end IEM's. If the SuperFi 5's don't blow me away, I may very well keep them; 50 bucks is 50 bucks, and they're so easy to listen to...

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks -- it's nice to get some user comments on Westones. For people like me who haven't seen Westones, it's good to get opinions on details such as the cords.

But are you saying that upgrade-itis hit within one week? Wow ... That's the Head-Fi spirit!
evil_smiley.gif

Wouldn't your wife want to use the Westones for her player? And do you envision Comply tip prices coming down by popular demand, or maybe a group buy of them, to get a price break?

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Thanks -- it's nice to get some user comments on Westones. For people like me who haven't seen Westones, it's good to get opinions on details such as the cords.

But are you saying that upgrade-itis hit within one week? Wow ... That's the Head-Fi spirit!
evil_smiley.gif

Wouldn't your wife want to use the Westones for her player? And do you envision Comply tip prices coming down by popular demand, or maybe a group buy of them, to get a price break?

I didn't really WANT to upgrade; I've had my E2C's for well over 2 years and never felt the need, but now that I'm listneing more, I wanted to try something different. Had it not been for the rebate on the SuperFi's, I would be content.

The cords are the best I've seen at any price. Just well thought out. They remind me of Kimber speaker cable, which is pretty good stuff. Very flexible and easy to work with. I forgot to mention that there are NO microphonics with the UM1's. None... well, unless I hit myself in the head. At that point I have bigger problems than microphonics...

My wife would beat me if she knew what I paid for stuff like headphones. She also probably wouldn't be crazy about jamming them in her ear. If I plan on living in the house and not the back yard in a tent, I can only keep one.

It would be nice to see a group by on the Comply tips; might just have to start that thread. I want to wait and see how I feel about the SuperFi's before I don anything else. If I love them, the UM1's will reluctantly have to go. If they don't blow me away (and I mean they're really going to have to be exceptional), then I'll keep the UM1's and pursue a group buy. I may also fiddle around wtih some of the longer-lasting Shure tips.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thestumper
I didn't really WANT to upgrade; I've had my E2C's for well over 2 years and never felt the need, but now that I'm listneing more, I wanted to try something different. Had it not been for the rebate on the SuperFi's, I would be content.

The cords are the best I've seen at any price. Just well thought out. They remind me of Kimber speaker cable, which is pretty good stuff. Very flexible and easy to work with. I forgot to mention that there are NO microphonics with the UM1's. None... well, unless I hit myself in the head. At that point I have bigger problems than microphonics...

My wife would beat me if she knew what I paid for stuff like headphones. She also probably wouldn't be crazy about jamming them in her ear. If I plan on living in the house and not the back yard in a tent, I can only keep one.

It would be nice to see a group by on the Comply tips; might just have to start that thread. I want to wait and see how I feel about the SuperFi's before I don anything else. If I love them, the UM1's will reluctantly have to go. If they don't blow me away (and I mean they're really going to have to be exceptional), then I'll keep the UM1's and pursue a group buy. I may also fiddle around wtih some of the longer-lasting Shure tips.

So far I love my UM1's

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thestumper

I'll look forward to your comparison between the UM1 and Super.Fi!

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Having the UM1s for nearly a week so far, thankfully I had managed to find a reasonable fit with the long Comply tips. And yes Shure E3/4/5 tips will indeed fit the acoustic tubes of the UM1 (I know, I tried
biggrin.gif
), as will Etymotic triple flanges, but be gentle with fitting these tips as they can be real tight!
etysmile.gif

As they are non original components, I'm not sure what fitting these tips will do to the warranty status in the event of accidental breakages
very_evil_smiley.gif
Comfort wise the comply tips are the best, whilst if you are looking for isolation and less loss due to poor fitting tips, then the ety triple flanges are the way to go, though removing them is well, a pain
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 10
I agree that the complys are the most comfy, but for best comfort-price-isolation tradeoff I'd go for the tri-flanges. I mod them into bi-flange and they're just the best in terms of fit, convenience and comfort. The shure soft flexes are too hard for me and the complys get dirty too easily when on the move which is why I find that the bi-flanges are on most of the time. Now I only use complys in bed and the shures are long packed away.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 10
You really do need a good amp to hear what the Westone IEMs can do. I don't know if the UM1 is as sensitive/reactive to amps, but my ES2s sound very different with each amp. I thought mine had a soft/rolled-off top end until I heard it with better amps.

The "M" Hornet in particular really opens it up with great extension and detail, great soundstage, very good bass, great PRAT, zero hiss -- and more fun -- at a $$ price, of course.

Some UM1 and UM2 owners should chime in with amp experiences.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 10
I have not taken the "M" plung. My hornet is stock, sounds like a champ with Westone products. Nice to see the fans responding. I swap between the IEM's and KSC 75's depending on my needs. I use my AKG701 for those jazz moments. UM1's for Rock and fun foot stomping times! They are great on Air travel too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back