Westone Introduces the ES60 - 6BA Custom In Ear
Jan 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Deviltooth

1000+ Head-Fier
You probably saw it coming after the introduction of their 6 driver universal; here's the official announcement: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/WESTONE-DEBUTS-ES60--THE-NEWEST-IN-EAR-MONITOR-IN-THE-ELITE-SERIES-PRODUCT-LINE-FOR-PROFESSIONAL-MUSICIANS-AT-NAMM-2014.html?soid=1102655398472&aid=g0HdoAfuOmo

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 59
To be honest, Hi-fi audio products are getting ridiculous prices. How on earth IEMs are exceeded $1000 price point? If audiophile people keep buying super overpriced products, there will be $5,000 for a IEM, $10,000 for a headphone, and $20,000 for an Amp in the very near future. Eventually, noone can afford hi-fi products and we will be going back to Apple earbud soon.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 59
To be honest, Hi-fi audio products are getting ridiculous prices. How on earth IEMs are exceeded $1000 price point? If audiophile people keep buying super overpriced products, there will be $5,000 for a IEM, $10,000 for a headphone, and $20,000 for an Amp in the very near future. Eventually, noone can afford hi-fi products and we will be going back to Apple earbud soon=))

Don't get your rationale behind that claim. It's not like Westone stopped carrying their entry-level custom models such as the ES10, 20, 30, 50, let alone their universal models. If you can't afford $5000 IEM's then simply buy the $100 IEM or whatever costing IEM that you can afford that is offered.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 59
To be honest, Hi-fi audio products are getting ridiculous prices. How on earth IEMs are exceeded $1000 price point? If audiophile people keep buying super overpriced products, there will be $5,000 for a IEM, $10,000 for a headphone, and $20,000 for an Amp in the very near future. Eventually, noone can afford hi-fi products and we will be going back to Apple earbud soon.

No doubt these are very much luxury items.  At the same time entry level IEMs have been improving by leaps and bounds (trickle down technology) and competition is sure to drop some prices in the future as well. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 59

In my experiences, the pricing of most IEMs are still pretty much "to scale" with what they offer. The unique combination of comfort (especially with the customs), sound quality, miniature size... etc. Rule of thumb is that full size headphones usually deliver more oomph for less money, but people who use IEMs usually have specific use case where they don't want full size headphones. It's hard to make something incredibly small and deliver a full range of sound.

Most customs start around the $500 range, and UE has been making $1300 IEMs for years now (the UE 18 Pro w/ 6 drivers as well). So the pricing of these Westone are pretty much in line with expectations. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 59
I do like the jh16's more than the w3's they're both bassy and that's my preference but I'm always looking for something better I had a chance to listen to some universal Roxanne's and they were great. Also as for difference between w3 and jh16 what did you mean by it's more like a 300 vs 400 dollar difference?

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 59
  That I did not think that the JH16 sounded 400% better than W3 from a price standpoint.  Maybe 25% ($300 to 400) if even that.

Ah, I see you're new here - welcome to head-fi! When Buying Things (not just audio gear, this applies to everything), we have a phenomenon known as "diminishing returns". It means that as the quality of what you're purchasing goes up, the price increases exponentially. We also have an accompanying phenomenon we call "buyer's remorse" which is what happens when someone purchases high quality Things without prior knowledge of "diminishing returns".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back