Westone ES2 Owners Speak Up!!!!
Feb 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joshuamercer

100+ Head-Fier
So on Monday I got my ears impressed and the same day they were sent off.  Wednesday, Rachelle at Westone sent me an email letting me know my impressions had been received and are in the lab.  I have my order rushed because I might be getting deployed to Afghanistan and I wanted my IEMs ASAP.  I'm paralyzed with excitement and anxiety to finally hear these beautiful headphones and i would love to hear from you guys who have these headphones.  There is a serious lack of information on the net about these phones so i'm counting on you all to help spread the word until i get my phones back and have a chance to write up a quick review of my initial impressions.

Lemme know your thoughts on these guys!!!

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Perhaps what most people around here would like to know is: whatever made you choose the ES2 in the first place? Most people, if they're not a musician, would likely choose something else, and even if they are a musician, they would most definitely choose a different IEM, specially if the ES2 (a dual-driver custom IEM) costs $650.

Most people would probably choose the JH Audio JH5. Have you done enough research?

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 3
These monitors were my personal choice based on reputation, quality, and performance (however perceived it may be since i've never actually listened to a custom Westone) of Westone products in my personal experience.  Their customer support really blew me away the first time i spoke with them, and i have been using their UM1s for the better part of 3 months.  The fact that a single driver headphone is capable of handling so much volume input on stage is simply astounding to me.  With that said, i wanted more bass response for my personal listening while still gaining more headroom for the stage and the ES2s were the next logical step after i had decided that squeezing the foam tips everytime i had to remove the phones from my head at work was not worth the hassle any longer. 

I am not an expert in either brand's (JHA/Westone) performance or quality, but my ultimate decision was based on two important (to me) things.  I did in fact contact JHA asking about their products via email.  The response i got was very informative but i didn't get the warm fuzzy that i always look for when purchasing big ticket items.  The second issue i had was that they did not have an audiologist in the Dallas/Fort Worth area they recommended, and as such i was leary about finding one on my own because i've read multiple negative posts about choosing an audiologist that isn't familiar with an IEM brand's product.  It was just the opposite on both accounts when i contacted Westone. 

Long story short: Westone comes very highly recommended in comfort, quality, reputation, and performance.  I can comment directly on their reputation and performance.  Also, the part of the IEM that gets inserted in your ear canal is a heat activated material that expands slightly once in contact with the skin.  That doesn't hurt either.  It's the best compromise between a fully acrylic shell and a fully silicone shell.  Hope that clears something up for those of you who have viewed this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back