Westone ES-3 Part2
Nov 16, 2005 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

UAndy

100+ Head-Fier
So the ES3 finally arrived from Variphone/Belgium who is the authorized manufacturer for Westone in Europe. They needed only one week to produce them after the impressions arrived. After unpacking I was rather impressed about the quality of the box which is sealed tight and has a disiccant container built in, to prevent moisture from reaching the drivers. Compared to the UE10 the ES3 are beautifully built: no loose wires, everything in perfect order (doesn´t affect the sound however, just the looks).
What I listen to is mainly Rock (J.Mellencamp, E.John, P.Maffay, Groenemeyer, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Billy Idol ...).
Just to recall: I use the UE10 since one year (very satisfied) and some Etys (4s and p) for more than 12 years.

Fit:
They fit perfectly from the beginning. Strange enough they sit quite loose (or so it seems) but maintain the seal perfectly - even when chewing a little.

First impression:
After connecting the ES3 to the Meier-Prehead I recognized some hiss (is not there with the UE10). On the headphone-amp of a Kenwood-preamp (class-A discrete-FET) there was a bit more. So it is not a mismatch with the amp. They are a bit more sensitive than the UE10.
Listening to the first tracks revealed a completely different sound-philosophy compared to the UE10. The ES3 are very bright with a strong emphasis on vocals, guitars, saxophones ... Bass is rather lean and hard - a bit thin. It is a little bit like comparing a Grado RS1 to the AKG K1000 in this respect. (I use these as well and I like them both). Loud volume levels proved to be uncomfortable. So after the first 10 minutes I was a little disappointed.

What came next:
I tryed the 120 Ohm output of the Prehead and this was the absolute breakthrough. The aggressiveness in the treble is gone, bass is perfectly tight and lean, guitars are produced with a sense of air around them where evry tiny little bit of resolution is hearable. Voices are shockingly lifelike as if someone would sing there personally.
I used then an external 120 Ohm adapter from Meier Porta-Corda on this and on Creative Zen Touch. Similar balanced sound with however an some loss due to portable device´s simpler electronics.

ES3 characteristics:
All further listening is with the 120 Ohm output on the stationary system with CDs. What the ES3 does perfectly is reproducing the entire musical spectrum with a tremendous speed and lifelikeness. Bass is well controlled and lacks the overemphasizing of the 300 - 400 Hetz region that other devices sometimes show to simulate bass - where the real low bass is absent.
In my HiFi period I had quite a number of headphones but this is the most perfect bass I ever heard. Every fault during the recording is however equally displayed. That is the reason why I like the sound engineer from J. Mellencamp. He uses only few microphones and keeps a tight bass and a neutral balance. As said in the website there is a little emphasis on vocals and guitars but that makes the music more exciting.

Compared to the UE10:
Both play on a very high level. I would say it is a matter of taste. Musically the UE10 has a stronger (not deeper) bass which in connection with recordings that have an emphasis in the 300 Hertz area becomes too strong at times. ES3´s bass is more on the tight and lean side with a lot of pressure. Hights on the UE10 are there but not so very present as the ES3. That makes the UE10 more forgiving. The ES3 is a bit more exciting because every tiny detail is revealed. Altogether I prefer the ES3 because I like to kreep into the music while listening to all nuances. You might think now that I would not use the UE10 any more - wrong. One area where the UE10 excells is when listening to loud rock music. That is not tiring with them. The ES3 can become nasty after 20min or so. There is simply too much energy in the upper region. Vocals are reproduced a little cooler on the ES3 without coloration. UE10 sounds a little warmer.

Conclusion:
I am very satisfied with both - the UE10 and the ES3. Both will be used - when I want to hear everything on the recording at exceptional speed and lifelikeness I take the ES3. When listening to loud rock and I want to enjoy the music very relaxing I grab the UE10.

So for all those of you thinking about buying UE10 and/or ES3 I hope to have shed some light on their characteristics. All impressions are based on my personal taste - it could be that others feel differently.

Greetings from Germany

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the review, UAndy.
I was looking at these for an alternate, but looks like I did well by sticking on the save side. My UE-10s should be ready by now and on the way... can't wait.

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 16
sounds shockingly similar to reviews comparing the UM2 and the E4, but obviously, a few steps above

anyway, enjoy the phones andy
icon10.gif

cheers

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 16
hey
blink.gif
... thanks ...

you know ..
you're probably one of the first persons who compares these two ..

don't know others but I've been long waiting for a comparo ...

if you'd ever want to furtherly review and explain about the differences .. I know this would be higly appreciated from a large part of us ..

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Good review enjoyed reading it..

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 16
Great review, thanks. One of the few comparisons of these IEM's available.

The ES-3 is even more revealing than the UE10 Pro? That's certainly going to turn some heads. Have you tried anything orchestral? It seems like the extra clarity would do very well with many acoustic instruments, in particular strings where the texture would be more emphasized.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 16
Nice review. Really have a good time reading it.

By the way, can I request some nice pictures of your ES3?

PS.
LOL. I feel Westone ganna get some more orders for ES3 from head-fi this Christmas.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 16
How much did you pay? including everything..

I think it's somewhat in the region around 1000 euros (1200 dollars) or more..

btw, just to give a quick comparison of prices, if you buy the UM2 via Variphone it costs you around 400 euros
very_evil_smiley.gif
Europe sucks bigtime when it comes to buying electronics of whatever..

but overall the sound of the ES3 must be great, but not worth 1000 euros..

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 16
hi, another question regarding the ES3.

I heard ppl saying it is a single bore. Is it true? Because I know Sensaphonics is dual bore like UE10 Pro.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks a lot for all of your friedly replies! I have tried to give you a fair objective report without stepping on anyones toes.

Hi wolfb: To squeeze out most of the ES3 is a bit more tricky due to the 120 Ohm impedance. It is also more unforgiving in terms of the quality of incoming signals since it reveals recording flaws more harshly to the ear than the UE10.

Hi boodi: It is always a bit difficult for a non-professional reviewer to get the important point right. A lot of emotion is envolved especially when a new phone is tested. So to describe my personal feelings about the ES3: they are so damned fast over the whole frequency spectrum that it still knocks me off. Very seldom I have experienced such a unbelievable performance before. The way I feel it now: ES3 could be my favorite one and only phone - ifff: it could deliver a higher output (volume) effortless. This is definitely the strong point of the UE10. They bring out a bit too heavy bass then, but I can live with that. For classical and/or chamber music someone might not see this in such a way. So to sum it up: ES3 for anything less than earshattering levels, UE10 for high volume levels (only about 50 minutes or so - longer would harm the hearing).

Hi catscratch: The ES3 is indeed a bit faster and more revealing than the UE10 (!my personal impression!). Reason could be however that ES3 are a bit brighter so that psychoacoustically the rise-time is felt faster. Might well be that any electrical measurement would show the same on UE10. Resolution and uniformity of the whole frequency-band seems more linear with ES3 which results in a more detailed resolution of recordings with more instruments. However multimiked recordings sound rather mashed from lacking of focus. I feel sorry for Bruce Springsteen`s "Rising". I love his music but the recording lacks focus. A pity and nowadays unnecessary. (He should try Mellencamp´s rec.-engineer).

Hi solvexyz: I am very sorry that I have no camera. All money goes to IEM´s. I can only try to describe the finish of the ES3 a bit more: when looking inside the opening you see 3 little tubes of equal diameter leading from the drivers. These tubes are not extended to the output (like on UE10), they end somewhere in the middle of the earcanal-housing. I think these tubes cannot be extended to the outer hole because it is too small.

Hi sidewinder: The German and/or European situation: The local audiologist who is specialized in IEMs has a contract with Fischer-Amps who is the authorized manufacturer for UE. Impressions cost 30 Euros. The UE10 costs 1100 Euros.
For the ES3 I got the impressions from them (30 E.) and sent them myself to Variphone/Belgium. The price for the ES3 is about 1080 Euro including tax and handling. It can be that this is too expenisve for some people. However I am very satisfied with the price-performance ratio - I must confess that I am a IEM enthusiast.

By contacting Meier-Audio I found out that he is able to sell 120 Ohm adapters (from Oehlbach). They are 3,5" plug and socket. Anyone owning ES3s should strongly consider using either these or building a similar set themselves.

I hope to have cleared some open questions.
Greetings from Germany

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by UAndy

Hi sidewinder: The German and/or European situation: The local audiologist who is specialized in IEMs has a contract with Fischer-Amps who is the authorized manufacturer for UE. Impressions cost 30 Euros. The UE10 costs 1100 Euros.

Hmmm, I think Fischer-Amps is the authorized distributor for UE in Germany. The phones itself will be manufactured at UE's Labs in the USA.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 16
How could I have missed this thread? First of all, congratulations! Luckily you haven't listened to my concerns regarding the ES3 *g*....

Nice review, btw. Looking forward to more impressions as time goes by, I'm curious which IEM will get more listening time in the end. I know you like both, but I guess subconciously you'll chose the one which gives you a greater satisfaction, same applies for me and everyone else - except that I don't own the ES3
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfB
Hmmm, I think Fischer-Amps is the authorized distributor for UE in Germany. The phones itself will be manufactured at UE's Labs in the USA.

Yes, that's true, but I think that's what he actually meant.

Marcus

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB

For Westone I am sure that Variphone produces them in license. But I think Fischer also has the manufacturing rights. I think it doesn´t matter either way as long as the quality is equal.
Greetings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back