Westone ES-2's: Just how sensitive?
Aug 3, 2006 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I really dig the new E500's, but I still can't get the custom bug out of my brain. Anyway, I've both read and been told about the ES-2's being really sensitive. What I need to know is if they are any more sensitive than UM2? The plan would be to use them portably and amped. If so, it could be a real deal-killer for me. I'm hoping any hiss issues can be solved with a good amps.Thanks.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
Pete - You and I are on the same course me thinks!

Here is some info from PM's I got from a couple ES2 owners here. Also a nice impression write-up here.

I have always thought that the ES2s were underrated in terms of their sonic abilities when compared to a more popular IEM like the UE10pro. I really don’t know what kind of difference the dual vs. triple driver makes in terms of the sound. I do know that the UE10s are the cleaner, clearer and tighter of the IEMs. What I have found is that it is possible to get the ES2s to sound more like a UE10 than it is to get the UE10 to sound like an ES2. In other words, with the Hornet and EYS, I can get the ES2s to deliver me a clear yet warm sound that has a killer somewhat forward midrange with the bass to back it up. Trying to get the UE10s to give me a warmer sound with a midrange that matches the ES2s has proven to be a very daunting task and I don’t know that I am there yet.

I think the ES2 has the closest bass and vocal presentation to the PS-1 as you are going to find. I don’t think the vocals are as clear as the PS-1 and I don’t think the bass is as tight, but I also think the ES2 is about as close as you’re going to get. The UE10s will provide you a greater level of clarity and tightness, however it also comes at the expense of the warmth, fun factor, and nice forward midrange presentation of the ES2s. I think the expectation that any IEM will be a PS-1 is only going to lead you to disappointment. Thinking of an IEM that will provide you with a sound you like (similar to the UM2s) only at a higher level will likely lead you to something that you are happy with. Realistically, I end up spending more time listening to my IEMs than I do to other headphones just because of the portability and convenience. The isolation can also be a nice factor as well.

I have found the scalability of IEMs to be somewhat surprising as well. A good synergistic combination of source/amp/mini/IEM can really get you down the path of the last 10%.

Definitely read up as much as you can prior to making a purchase. Once you go custom, there is no going back. Not only in terms of no resale, but in my opinion, there is no going back to anything else once you have something custom made to fit your ears. The isolation and comfort is really second to none with a great fitting pair of IEMs. If you do go with Westone, I’d definitely recommend using one of their preferred audiologists. I’d even call Westone to find out which one is the best in your area on their preferred list. Fit experience is a big key as well. I have large, fairly straght ear canals. So at first glance, it seems as though tha twould be an easy fit to acheive. Turns out the opposite is true. Since there really isn't a big bend in the canal to hook onto. it is way harder to get a good fit. Westone is the one that got it right on the money the first time. Fortunately my audiologist had been shooting molds for Westone for years and was well versed in what they were looking for in a good mold.

With UE, they were so far off on a good fit I went through literally five pairs and over ten refits. I'm not a perfectionist, but I do know the level of isolation I should get, etc. I ended up going out to UE's facility to have their audiologist shoot my molds and paid for the same day turn around to ensure that I left there with a killer fitting pair. Crazy as this may sound, it was worth the time, effort and expense to ensure I had an excellent fitting pair.

One other bit of advice...I researched the heck out of IEMs prior to purchasing even my first pair and I bought nearly every custom IEM out there in the process. Best advice I can give to you is to make a decision, be happy with it and don't look back. All of the high end IEMs like the ES2s and UE10s really are closer in sonic presentation than they are further away. I honestly think if you like the UM2s and the PS-1s that the ES2s would fit the bill for you nicely. It is also nice to know that they are a lot less expensive than the UE10s. Talk to the audiologist and see what kind of price they can give you. I know there is often a little wiggle room between the Westone suggested retail and they price they can give you.

In comparison to the UE10s, the ES2s sound a bit more colored and warm. This is not a negative, merely an observation compared to the UE10 which is clean, clear and tight but can also tend to be a bit cold. The UE10s are no doubt an incredible IEM. iPod 5g >SR-71>Zynsonix VRAY Prime > UE10 is sonic bliss.

I started out with the ES3s and was not aware at the time (nor did they say on their website at that point) that the ES2s were better for personal listening. The ES3s are really tuned exactly the way they are presented as for guitarists and vocalists. The midrange is way bumped up and the bass is a bit lacking. I was looking for a better balance across the spectrum and more bass and I got that with the ES2.

As you can tell from above, I do use an amp with both the ES2 and UE10. I think an amp really adds a lot of body and depth to the sound.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Wow...couldn't have said it better myself...wait a minute...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 5
During the brief time that I owned both the UM2 and the ES2, I couldn't tell a difference between them (about a week of direct comparisons).

However, I lately have gone thru KSC75, KSC35, K81DJ, and Eggos, and can't tell the difference between any of them, so my ears may not be the best analysts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back