Westone Dealers in Vancouver
Dec 22, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

-Paolo-

100+ Head-Fier
So I've finally found an IEM i'm interested in, I've sampled Grado's and found no substantial difference in my KSC75 and IMO its not worth the big jump since it is not 3 times better in SQ.

So for IEM purposes I'm headed into the Westone direction and looking at the UM1's. Sadly I haven't seen that many reviews on them, but managed to find only ONE Vancouver seller of IEM's who mainly focuses on rentals for tours, but is nice to sell them as well. For $125 Canadian + Tax, would the UM1's be a good starter for a beginner IEM user.

I've looked around for Shures and well, they're extremely overpriced here, I mean a pair of E2C's cost $130 Canadian from a HiFi Store.

Well I guess the point of this is it worth it to pull the trigger and buy the UM1's or look for something else?

EDIT: Also if there are any other Westone or Shure dealers in Vancouver, please post about it, I would like to get a quote from every possible place.

Also if any other Vancouver-ites would be interested, I could give you the phone number of the store who also sells Shure products and a great price. He quoted the E3's at a price of $160 Canadian, but still recommended the UM1's over it even if the E3's were priced lower.

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 14
If you guys want a Canadian dealers, Sam from http://www.marcopolo.ca/ is also Authorized dealler for both Westone and Shure, and I believe he price matches too.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 14
Sam wants $20 for shipping and everything else. For a $125 Product i rather get it local.

Plus I have to wait.

And Highschoolers don't have credit cards for online purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Paolo-
Sam wants $20 for shipping and everything else. For a $125 Product i rather get it local.

Plus I have to wait.

And Highschoolers don't have credit cards for online purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

oh ok. Yah, I am too leaning towards the new Westone UM1 that resembles UM2 as I heard it got better bass response compared to Shure e3c. And I suggest you pick up some tri-flange as well.

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 14
I figure getting it local would be cheaper for me...

I mean $125 + 14.5% tax = $143.13

Or from marcopolo = $127.03 + $20 (Inclusive) = 147.03

Plus if I ended up not liking them, the local store could refund me and use the headphones for his rental stock. Rather than pay return shipping.

And the experience I've had with Rob from gearforce was great, he explained in great lenght the differences between the UM1 and E3's.

Oh with the difference of close to $4 I could use for cafeteria food at High school. Yum.

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree, lets see a name or an address.
Is it located in vancouver, or near it.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 14
He was sold out but he just got 2 pairs of UM1's in yesterday morning and 3 UM2's. Since I got one of the UM1's he's probably just got 1 left of those.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 14
I was going to buy the UM1's from Gearforce on monday but when I phoned they said they wouldn't have stock til early next week. Add on the fact that their location seems hard to get to by transit, I went the eBay route.

Bought my UM1's tuesday on ebay from marcopolo (ebay name marcopoloca) and I received them this morning (thursday)!!! Unbelievably fast service. They ship from Eastern Canada too, so there are no cross border delays or charges.

As for the UM1's themselves, initial impressions are definitely not good, and I haven't known IEM's to develope greatly through break in. Bass is recessed, although it comes through accurately enough to hear the bass instrument itself. Highs are recessed and cymbals sound a little hissy. Mids are far too forward, and in chorus parts they seem to muddy the rest of the sound. These impressions are straight from the box with the short tips after 4 hours of listening.

I will reserve my final impression of these IEM's for when I have tried both types of tips, and burned in for at least a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back