Westone cracking/bubby sound
Jan 18, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwglue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i was changing the tips today and on my left westone 3 when i pushed down on it i heard a little crackling sound. what is it? is it something bad?

ummmm.... let me consult my crystal ball....hmmmmm.... i'm afraid I cant make a diagnosis from this distance; are you touching the keyboard and wearing them right now?? something must be blocking the energy flow. jk

but seriously, I dont know dude, the way you describe it doesnt sound good, I cant say mine make a crackling sound. were you pressing down on the table?? was it an electrical crackling sound or could it have been just the plastic warping slightly and making a mechanical crackling sound??

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 11
well best way i can SORT of describe it is sort of like those addicintg packaging bubbles or those mcdonalds soda lids.

i have my index finger and thumb holding the iem and i sort of give it a press down..and when i release my fingers it makes the sound.

i'm just worried touching the driver would do any harm..or if it's just the shell

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

uhh last thing i wanna do is lose my westones for even a day! i really think it's the preasure i applied onto it when i was changing tips..

are armature drivers really fragile? like CANT TOUCH

You'd touch the filters before you touch the drivers.

And that bugged me when I was cleaning out my Westone 3 the other night; the cleaning wire is longer than the friggin' stem! If you're careless, I bet you can push with the force needed to rip/damage the filter!

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Happens before with most of my IEM. It's the pressure built up in the housing. Sound probably sourced from the filter (BA) or the diaphragm (dynamic).

Very noticeable on my old MylarX3.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

well best way i can SORT of describe it is sort of like those addicintg packaging bubbles or those mcdonalds soda lids.

i have my index finger and thumb holding the iem and i sort of give it a press down..and when i release my fingers it makes the sound.

i'm just worried touching the driver would do any harm..or if it's just the shell

it sounds like the housing is flexing under pressure which is strange, it shouldnt be soft or flexible in any way, consult your seller and seek replacement, if they dont replace it then contact westone and find out if the housing is suppose to flex in any way. i dont imagine touching the armatures inside would cause damage as the actual diaphragm is concealed inside the armature and this is the bit you dont want to touch, although im not 100% certain damage wont have been caused because they are very sesitive and certain knocks can unsettle the balancing easily.

but yeh if you get the noise when you press down and release then it sounds like the housing is flexing inwards and then cracking back to normal when you release it. does anybody else sense any flexing in the casing?? i cant imagine its natural, have you kept the earphones near a source of heat? i ask because this can warp certain materials and/or make then slightly softer.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

source of heat..the heater? that's about all. my right one is fine.

L3000.gif
the question is have you squeezed the right earpeice to find out??
atsmile.gif

could be packaging problems...
ph34r.gif
im outta here!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Hi, i was changing the tips today and on my left westone 3 when i pushed down on it i heard a little crackling sound. what is it? is it something bad?

Sounds like you cracked the iems. Westones in particular crack very easily. This happened to me with my first set of UE2s, and to a friend of mine more recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back