Westone Connectors
Oct 7, 2009 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sphb

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!
Anyone knows where to get those connectors on the ES2 cable?
I think I would pay a fortune for them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 22
you cant, nobody sells them, you can only buy large amounts at a time and they will already have a small tail of wire connected to them, so will likely not serve the purpose you want. the only way is to entirely make you own; as I have. they must be molded directly onto the finished cable, so I cannot sel you any even if I wanted to, sorry. good luck, but AFAIK, what you seek, does not exist

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you cant, nobody sells them, you can only buy large amounts at a time and they will already have a small tail of wire connected to them, so will likely not serve the purpose you want. the only way is to entirely make you own; as I have. and no sorry i'm not selling any, they must be molded directly onto the finished cable

I thought so too... Just trying my luck
normal_smile .gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 22
yeah no worries, I dont blame you, would be great if they did exist, its been time consuming getting it all sorted out, but yeah try your luck searching, but I doubt you will find any, I never did, which is why I ended up doing it myself

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

yeah no worries, I dont blame you, would be great if they did exist, its been time consuming getting it all sorted out, but yeah try your luck searching, but I doubt you will find any, I never did, which is why I ended up doing it myself

Wow! How did you do it?

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 22
I contracted a jeweler to make hardened sterling silver rods at the right gauge, I cut the pins to length and I mold plastic or resin housings onto the finished cable myself

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 22
You could also go to your local hardware store, find the appropriate solid strand wire that would work. Go with a size that's one notch smaller, and tin it with solder. This will make it hard enough so that you don't have to worry about bending the pins. Then use epoxy, heatshrink, glue etc.. and whatever else you can think of to make a nice little plastic mold for it.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also go to your local hardware store, find the appropriate solid strand wire that would work. Go with a size that's one notch smaller, and tin it with solder. This will make it hard enough so that you don't have to worry about bending the pins. Then use epoxy, heatshrink, glue etc.. and whatever else you can think of to make a nice little plastic mold for it.

none of the wire gauges (AWG) are the right size, some too small, some too large. for a good connection it must be 0.76mm. one thing (innocent question) since when is solder harder than solid core wire?? interesting idea, might work I guess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Actually after thinking about it, doesn't seem too difficult to do after all

hehe good luck with that, pdupiano clearly hasnt made them before, sounded simple to me before I did it too, I guess for a ghetto look its doable, but the size of the housing is pretty darn small, you must find room for your wires, perhaps an extra wire for memory wire along with the tubing to cover that and still leave enough room for enough material to make it strong. dont mean to discourage you, in fact I really do wish you luck, but it is NOT as easy as pdupiano makes it sound

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 22
Just tin a solid core wire and try to bend it. The difference is that when solder hardens its not malleable. Its not that solder is "harder" than solid core wire, its simply not maleable so you can't bend it (well without breaking it).

Actually the process is easy, I've done it to make UE cables and ETY4 (p/b/s) cables since I havent found those pins commercially available yet. I'm not saying to use the wire for the entire cable, just to make a 3/8" wire as the "posts/pins" for the wire. Actually I also did this when I was making a cheapo Sennheiser hd650 cable before cardas lowered the price to $16/pair (I know still exp but better quality). It really isnt that difficult, and as I mentioned, you don't need to find wire that's exactly the size of the connectors, find one that's slightly smaller and build your way from there. But before resulting to wires, I tried using pins from old serial cables, Jumper pins from when I built my gamma 1 and anything that looked remotely like it would work. At one point I even tried taking stranded wire, getting something "close to what I needed" then tinning it. And if I really need to make a custom wire that doesnt meet the standard AWG, then I would go down that route. Take good quality stranded wire and keep twisting certain number of wires wires until you get the right size, tin them and use that. When you tin stranded wires, you still get an "unbendable" pin for your westones.

Or assuming you have the old westone cable, just reuse the pins.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

none of the wire gauges (AWG) are the right size, some too small, some too large. for a good connection it must be 0.76mm.

0.76mm comes to 0.03" (ok, 0.0299, but what's a ten thousandth of an inch between friends?).

Here's a stock pin from Mill-Max that may be useful for this sort of thing.

millmaxpin.jpg

Here's the datasheet:

Mill-Max 3150-2-00-15-00-00-08-0

In stock at Arrow Electronics.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just doing it as a little project during my free time so no harm trying
biggrin.gif

After it MIGHT just work out

Ya never know until ya try.
atsmile.gif

By the way, do you have a photo of the connectors you were referring to in your original post? The ES2 page at Westone doesn't even show any connectors.

Thanks!

se

nodualxlr.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back