Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #137 of 257
Quote:
OK I just gave these 10hrs of burn-in and the bass has settled down a smidge and the mids have become possibly a bit warmer while the treble is pretty much the same. For the most part though they have stayed true to the initial signature. I imagine there will be subtle adjustments to the sound but this will remain the primary signature of the IEM.

So the signature I am hearing is a bass / mid oriented signature with OK treble that rolls off and never get uncomfortable, they are VERY non-fatiguing. It is not my preferred signature but I am enjoying it anyway :). This is all un-equalized which is how I prefer to listen to my music. BUT I decided to try turning on my EQ on my Nokia 920 phone and set it to increase treble and WOW and WOW did this IEM ever respond well to that setting! This is one IEM I will break my no-EQ rule for. They simply sound amazing with added treble.

One this I was thinking about though and I will confirm when I have some time, hopefully later today or tomorrow. Will these be more warm and possibly too warm on an idevice? My Nokia and my Desktop DAC/AMP both are on the brighter side or colder sounding than my old iphone 4 so I do wonder and will get back with some results as soon as I can. For those who already own the ADV, what source/amp are you using and can any of you try different sources?

How are you finding them value wise?

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #138 of 257
Dweaver:

When I was looking through the pictures of the Westone ADV on other sites, I noted that they are using a different plug/connector that the two prong connectors on the two different Westones I own. Do you notice any issues with the cable and how sturdy does the connection seem?

While I am a Westone fan, I am not a fan of the connectors as the two prongs look like they could be bent very easily, so I rarely take them off.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #139 of 257
I think these are a good value due to the quality of their build and their sound quality being as good as other IEM's in a similar price range.

The cable system is the same as used by UE and Shure but is very well implemented so I don't think it will suffer the same issues some of the UE and Shure IEM's have.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #140 of 257
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #142 of 257
After about 20 hours of burn-in, I'm finding that the vocal recessing is definitely better. These phones are decently detailed, but the lush lower mids and powerful bass is still dominating the sound. That said, I generally think it takes more like 50 hours of burning phones in for them to really settle down. I also haven't done any kind of tip matching yet, I'm using the ones that came on the phones, which are almost undoubtedly bass-centric.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #143 of 257
Quote:
Before I forget I need to give a shout out to Earphone Solutions. I used a discount code I was not supposed to be able to use, so ended up having to pay the full 199. Earphone Solutions in exchange sent these to me in 2 days (I live in Canada so this had to be expensive). This is the first time I have gotten to offer some of the first impressions of an IEM. They certainly know how to look after a customer.

Thank you for the kind words!

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #144 of 257
To everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. I just finished reading through the reviews and find them on par with our goals for this new product line. We are not abandoning any of our current products or our music heritage.  We are just adding to the family.

I wanted to add a few details from my side.

-The ADVs are much warmer than anything else we build. They were designed that way. Dweaver's comments are correct. As these dynamic drivers playback, they smooth out very nicely. They do not lose the warmth, but they do become much better balanced. As expected, I have had mine for a few months and now spend most of my time listening to the ADV, especially when I am traveling.
-Cable noise- There is a bit of cable noise. We made this choice with this cable because we wanted to be the first to have the reflective material built into the cable for a global launch, which is important as part of the ADV series. We will have additional cables available in the next few months with the new connector, so if you want a straight braided cable, you will be able to get one. For now, please use the cable clip to help limit any noise you may hear at lower volumes.
-Dynamic driver- As has been stated, dynamic drivers have there limitations as well as BA driver do. Dynamics have some advantages for the active crowd that a BA does not offer. If you love the hifi detail of the W series and UM series, I appreciate your support. We will have some great new announcements this year for all of you. All I can say right now is WOW!

We are constantly working to build the best possible products. We are on a significant growth curve with a great deal of cool products in the pipeline. As part of this growth, we will be touching more segments of the head/earphone market and we will stay true to our love of great music playback. I have a couple of driving principle for Westone Audio- Build great products. Sound is the most important part of what we do. Fit is the second only to the sound. Lastly, innovate & create. 

It will be an exciting year. Please keep the comments coming.

Thank you,

John

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #146 of 257
I hope one of the future cables choices is an android based one :)

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #147 of 257
I found the cable noise to be disappointing!  I wish the remote was located past the intersection of the Y because I use a bit of a twist tie to bring the cable together at the back of my head much like the slider on my UM2s.  I found the cable clip to be useless, but thanks to the twist tie cable noise is not a factor.  I find them very quiet to wear and the flexible rubber fits better with my glasses!
  The only down side is that the remote is now at the back of my neck and pretty much useless.  I'm using these with an ipod, not with an iPhone.
I originally found the bass to be muddy and misplaced, I'd hear it in odd places at first, I tried switching sizes of the silicone tips, but nothing helped.  Rather than deal with the large assortment of Complys they came with I used a pair of Shure Black Foam inserts.  That seems to help put the bass where it belongs and overall the sound is nice and warm.  On a day like today where it's raining, I don't have to worry about them, however I think I will be using my UM2s a lot more.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #148 of 257
Isnt this more for outdoor use (implying the name Adventure')?? Definetly its going to be warmer but is it on par with Westone 2 or even 3? Thats the question. For someone (like me) who has W4R is this a step up or down?

BTW, I love my W4R :)

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #149 of 257
it will be a step down from the Wr4 for sure. It is a dynamic IEM so does not have the same level of detail. Having said that, it might be a better option for a lot of application requirements like ruggedness, water proof, high accident situations where these are not as expensive as your 4R.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #150 of 257
Quote:
Good to see Westone is paying attention to their fans.  A finger on the pulse of the community can never hurt.

Now I'm super curious about what else is 'in the pipeline'.

DITTO! After all, a big section of their sales will come via this site (or from previous purchasers who have left these shores).

Please do not release a hybrid this year, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back